Incubating issues and hatching

BackyardFarmTMC

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2018
East Tennessee
Hello I'm new on here. And new to raising my own chickens. I adore my flock like I personally am their mama hen. So I have a real taxing issue I have had come up. I recently put 6 eggs into my incubator about a week ago. Well about halfway in my kitten decided to make the top of incubator a bed and layed atop of the air hole on top the incubator. Causing the humidity water to dry up. And today I smelled a faint smell. Well I had a bad egg. Although it was a fertilized egg, it had died. My question is would all the eggs die because of this temporary lapse in the air and humidity?

My cat has done the exact same thing (it is nice and warm after all). The eggs don't need much oxygen until they start to hatch so that won't have been the cause of you losing an egg. Keep an eye on how your air cells are growing as to whether they need higher or lower humidity. Here's a simple drawing to compare them to:

figure04.gif

Good luck with the hatch and welcome to BYC! :frow

Hello and welcome to BYC! Great to have you here.

Small fluctuations in humidity aren’t important prior to pipping, the important thing is that the average humidity is sufficient that the eggs lose enough moisture during the whole incubation process. Your cat blocking the air vent should if anything increase the humidity. I think your eggs will be just fine and probably just an unrelated misfortune that you had a quitter. Best of luck with your hatch :thumbsup

I agree that the egg was probably a quitter. It happens. Don't be too upset at the cat. I have one that loves sitting, and laying on my incubator too. Just be careful when they hatch, especially if it's a styrofoam incubator, because they like to claw at it.

G'Day from down under BackyardFarmTMC :frowWelcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Good luck with the remaining eggs! :fl

Back
Top Bottom