1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating late in the year

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gamelife, Nov 16, 2011.

1. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    I have noticed that people are still incubating late in the year.
    What are your results like? I have never hatched eggs after August, I heard they aren't as robust and
    hardy as early spring hatches. Does anyone find this to be true.

2. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    I hope this isn't true. I usually purchase chicks but we had a bad spring with coyotes so after some major reconstruction I opted to hatch. I figured the kids might want to be more involved if they could see the hatching. This is my third hatch and there's no change in any involvement with the family and the chickens. It's still mom's thing, haha

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I've not heard that before. I have silkie chicks I just hatched and Bantam AMs in lockdown. Silkies are up and running around like crazy.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think it's fairly well known that spring chicks grow biggest, so if you're hatching birds for showing and you want them to be as big as possible, you really have to hatch them in the spring. But for plain old normal backyard birds, any time of year works fine for me. I hatch all year round nad haven't noticed any difference in health or hardiness. Just a slight difference in size...

5. my hen hatched 10 healthy chicks this winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by