Incubating more eggs than chicks you can keep

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So after our chick order for this year, we have room for 6 more chickens. I really wanted to hatch 1/2 dozen Blue Wheaton Ameraucana eggs. I know they can be sexed around 3-4 weeks looking at their chest feathers, which is why I really wanted that color. I am keeping one and 5 for the family farm, and mine has to be a pullet. The guy I made contact with locally doesn’t have them any more. So I sent out a bunch of emails to a bunch of people listed as breeders onlibe, only to get email after email saying they didn’t have them, or only sold chicks not eggs, etc.
So I decided to order a half dozen CCLB eggs which I found today. Blue eggs which I wanted, auto sex is even better than waiting 3-4 weeks.
Of course don’t I get an email from a very nice woman who has Blue Wheaton Ameraucana eggs a little while after I place my CCLB order?
So what do I do? I’d love to have both. I absolutely cannot give my aunt 9 roos if it were 9 out of 12. And I can only give her 5 chicks. Do you think they will all hatch? (Will be mailed). If I get extra eggs that’s even more I have to think about placing. Do you think they would sell ok? What should I do? I know, chicken math and all. But I need solid advice. Deep down I know I should just wait…

If you ended up with extra pullets,,,,, well its an easy sell. If you ended up with extra cockerels,,,,, well You know the sad news. :old :( Consider the law of averages,,, Chances you will end up with 50% of one gender are strong. Then decide what to do with the 50% other gender,
If the family farm eats the extra cockerels,, (which I am not against) Them mainline and hatch out both. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I don’t think you should hatch. If you only have room for 6 and only want pullets I’d go for the auto sex birds. Hatching eggs is risky like others said if you want at least six to hatch you would have to double the eggs which puts the risk of more then six hatching and possibly a bunch of males that you would have to rehome.I once hatched 12 eggs and 10 survived and 9 were male. Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom