Incubating my first lot of Silkie eggs

Silkies89

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
New South Wales, Australia
I've got 11 eggs currently in my incubator they are pure white non bearded silkies... this is my first attempt at hatching Silkies, if successful I think I'll become addicted!!!!

Its day 5 and I can hardly wait to candle them
wee.gif

I've been keeping myself occupied by reading everyones stories about their incubating experiences, I purchased my eggs from a breeder here in Australia, after they travelled almost 800kms thankfully only 1 egg was broken

So I have a couple of questions.......

• Since these eggs are bantam sized when could I candle day 8, 10 or earlier?
  • Some say they can hatch earlier then larger breeds, does this mean I should pump the humidity up at day 16/17?
  • And what sized bulb (watts) do I need for my brooder? I've been searching but can't seem to just get a simple answer

Any information from your personnel experiences would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Good luck with your hatch! Silkies are the most adorable, silly little fluff balls and as chicks they are addictive, for sure!

You can candle them now, if you want. If you have a nice, strong flashlight and the eggs are pale enough you may be able to see something. I usually candle on day 7 and then day 10 and then day 18 before I lockdown and maybe just for fun a few times in-between.

I know Serama chicks tend to hatch earlier than large breeds, but I don't know about Silkies. I'll ask a friend of mine who hatches lots of Silkies and let you know or ask her to come post here.

For the brooder I use a 250w red lamp, but you can use an ordinary 100w bulb too. It doesn't really matter what bulb you use or the wattage, as long as you can keep at least part of your brooder at 95*F (±35*C) for the first week when the chicks are brand new and need the warmth.

I candle my silkie eggs starting on day 3. Usually by day 5 you have identifiable veining. I am addicted to hatching also! I have been hatching nonstop since December, but plan to take a break when this batch is hatched!

Good luck with your hatch! Silkies are the most adorable, silly little fluff balls and as chicks they are addictive, for sure!

You can candle them now, if you want. If you have a nice, strong flashlight and the eggs are pale enough you may be able to see something. I usually candle on day 7 and then day 10 and then day 18 before I lockdown and maybe just for fun a few times in-between.

I know Serama chicks tend to hatch earlier than large breeds, but I don't know about Silkies. I'll ask a friend of mine who hatches lots of Silkies and let you know or ask her to come post here.

For the brooder I use a 250w red lamp, but you can use an ordinary 100w bulb too. It doesn't really matter what bulb you use or the wattage, as long as you can keep at least part of your brooder at 95*F (±35*C) for the first week when the chicks are brand new and need the warmth.
I have found that my silkies hatch only a few hours sooner than my Large fowl.

The reason for candling on days 7 14 and 18 is to regulate moisture loss, this allows you to add or remove moisture from your incubator.

Please refer to the humidity section as well as the candling section in this article, you will love your little chicks for sure!!
love.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Best of luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

Hi Guys

Eggs didn't go so well, ended up with nothing... Better luck next time... I think with my next batch of eggs I will try and pick up myself and avoid having them posted to me....

Thanks

Carissa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom