incubating new eggs

chickenaddict89

Hatching
Feb 24, 2015
Hi I got an incubator to hatch some shipped eggs. I have done research but I am still a little confused. Some sites say humidity should be at 45 to 55 . And some say it should be at 60 to 65 during the first 18 days . I would like to know what some of the chicken experts think. Thank you love the site.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think everyone (including old pros) experiences confusion incubating eggs. If you go to " Raising Backyard chickens " forumyou will find information on incubation and hatching. I have done neither but, I am sure more responders will be coming along, that do so.

Last edited:
Hi there, I just set 28 eggs in my incubator right now. I always have my temp at 99.5 degrees and humidity at 45%. I don't raise the humidity until lockdown and then I set it to 65-68 (depending on how many eggs I'm incubating). I always have good hatches. I have even better hatches now that I use the Brinsea which keeps both temperature and humidity perfectly. Good luck with your hatch.

Welcome to BYC!

Good luck with your hatch and share a photo of your new little ones when they show up. Nice to have you join us!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I incubate at 99.5 f and have the humidty 45% day 1-18 and then at least 65% for lockdown. The humidty needs to be an average over the entire incubation period in order for the eggs to lose enough moisture. Short term variations in humidty should not be a problem as long as the average has been ok. Candling your eggs should also give you a good idea on how much they losing. Too big for the said day of candling and they are losing too much and not big enough they are not losing enough. Higher the humidty the less they will lose and the lower it is the more they will lose. Here is a good guide for air cell growth

I would suggest you let your shipped eggs settle in cartons for 24 hours before setting them in your incubator. This gives them chance to settle from shipping as this can cause damaged air cells. Incubating them in a turner very upright also helps the air sacs. If you don't have a turner you can use egg cartons too. If you do have damaged/mishapen air sacs not turning for the first couple of days is also advisable.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Thanks for the great advice and the air cell guide. My humidity is at. 50% I don't know how to lower it any more my vent caps are off I guess I just won't put any water in till humidity drops. I figured I might not get any lower humidity since I live in florida on the coast. The chicks will be cemani and cream spithauben . Can't wait to see my beautiful chicks.will take pics

50% humidity should be fine. I incubate my eggs at 50-60% humidity (ideally 55%) for the first 18 days, and increase it to 70% for the last three days.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I know nothing about incubating. Yorkshire coop has given you great advice though!

Back
Top Bottom