1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating new eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenaddict89, Feb 26, 2015.

1. chickenaddict89

chickenaddict89 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Hi I got an incubator to hatch some shipped eggs. I have done research but I am still a little confused. Some sites say humidity should be at 45 to 55 . And some say it should be at 60 to 65 during the first 18 days . I would like to know what some of the chicken experts think. Thank you love the site.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think everyone (including old pros) experiences confusion incubating eggs. If you go to " Raising Backyard chickens " forumyou will find information on incubation and hatching. I have done neither but, I am sure more responders will be coming along, that do so.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. BathrobeGardner

BathrobeGardner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Altadena, California
    Hi there, I just set 28 eggs in my incubator right now. I always have my temp at 99.5 degrees and humidity at 45%. I don't raise the humidity until lockdown and then I set it to 65-68 (depending on how many eggs I'm incubating). I always have good hatches. I have even better hatches now that I use the Brinsea which keeps both temperature and humidity perfectly. Good luck with your hatch.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

Good luck with your hatch and share a photo of your new little ones when they show up. Nice to have you join us!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I incubate at 99.5 f and have the humidty 45% day 1-18 and then at least 65% for lockdown. The humidty needs to be an average over the entire incubation period in order for the eggs to lose enough moisture. Short term variations in humidty should not be a problem as long as the average has been ok. Candling your eggs should also give you a good idea on how much they losing. Too big for the said day of candling and they are losing too much and not big enough they are not losing enough. Higher the humidty the less they will lose and the lower it is the more they will lose. Here is a good guide for air cell growth
    [​IMG]

I would suggest you let your shipped eggs settle in cartons for 24 hours before setting them in your incubator. This gives them chance to settle from shipping as this can cause damaged air cells. Incubating them in a turner very upright also helps the air sacs. If you don't have a turner you can use egg cartons too. If you do have damaged/mishapen air sacs not turning for the first couple of days is also advisable.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. chickenaddict89

chickenaddict89 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks for the great advice and the air cell guide. My humidity is at. 50% I don't know how to lower it any more my vent caps are off I guess I just won't put any water in till humidity drops. I figured I might not get any lower humidity since I live in florida on the coast. The chicks will be cemani and cream spithauben . Can't wait to see my beautiful chicks.will take pics

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    50% humidity should be fine. I incubate my eggs at 50-60% humidity (ideally 55%) for the first 18 days, and increase it to 70% for the last three days.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I know nothing about incubating. Yorkshire coop has given you great advice though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by