Incubating pullet eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SA newbie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SA newbie

SA newbie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Hi all, new to incubating and wondering if I can incubate pullet eggs. We have a BA pullet, been repeated mated by virile BA cock, a BR pullet with a young hen and BR cock, and a group of Boschvelders who will reach POL this week, 2 cocks to 17 pullets who enjoy doing the deed! Boschvelders are a south african mixed breed. Can I use their eggs or am I gonna waste my time? Thanks in advance!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have hatched pullet eggs with no problem. I do keep the largest eggs for hatching. Recently another BYC member gave me some pullet eggs that were rather small. When I did my day 10 candle, 24 out of 25 eggs were developing. I am setting them tomorrow for hatching. I will candle again to see if there are any quitters.

3. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    cmom thank you for that answer as I was forced into setting some ( ordered eggs ) that I have a feeling are / were pullett eggs

4. SA newbie

SA newbie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Awesome thanks, hopefully the bator arrives tomorrow- postal service very pathetic in SA! Will keep updated as to how they do!

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I just hatched 2 pullet eggs. There were the first few they had laid. They were also the first 2 to hatch and the chicks are now almost 2 weeks old and have been doing great since they hatched. Have some more in my bator now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by