Incubating Seramas with other small breeds???

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I will be getting some Serama eggs in the mail in a few days. I have a Little Giant 9200 Still Air incubator with no turner. I understand that the Serama eggs like more humidity, and a little higher temperature, right? And I am definately wanting to hatch for the best results I can get for the Seramas. That said, has anyone had any experience in hatching something else at the same time as Serama eggs, or would I be much better off just incubating them by themselves? I have some Silkies and some Spitzhaubens, and these are both small egg chickens, tho not as small as the Seramas. I wouldn't care if it didn't work for the Silkie & Spitz. eggs, as they are mine, and I would just be boiling these small eggs for the chickens if I didn't incubate. What do you think? My main concern is getting the Seramas to hatch, but would it work to try both at the same time? Have any of you hatched something else at the same time as Seramas?

I was told by the woman I got my Serama eggs from that the humidty and temp are the same as for other eggs, but they hatch sooner... 19 days, rather than 21... so stop turning them at 16 days.

with my first hatching of Serama I put 12 EEs in with them for a control lot of the hatch. All 12 of them hatched, but only 4 of 10 Serama. I love my Seramas, but they are hard to incubate for me anyway. The Serama do hatch in 19-20 days. Good luck!

They will hatch the same time as other chicken eggs 21 days. You can put them in with other eggs. Humidity same and same temp.

I just hatched out seramas with other eggs and everything was ok.

Yep, I throw in some of my stock of Serama eggs into the incubator with shipped to check variables during incubation....the little Seramas hatch right on the days as the others.
wink.png

Thanks,everyone. Now, pray for good luck for me.
tongue.png

Would still welcome experience from any others, also.

I hatched 3/3 seramas with a bunch of bigger chicks last month. Beginner's luck, maybe -- I didn't do anything special & they hatched right on schedule with the others. I thought at first it might be a mistake to hatch them with bigger chicks but they have done great, and it's so sweet to see them in there holding their own with the bigger guys. It may just be my imagination but it seems like the big ones treat them very sweetly. The seramas sort of brood under the big ones sometimes.

I LOVE my seramas!
love.gif
I got them on impulse because the lady I got my eggs from had some, and I'm so glad. They are very personable & have been a big hit with the kids.

Good luck & keep us posted!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom