1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Shipped Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donnavee, Dec 13, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I just ordered some call duck eggs and should get them in a couple of days. I've never incubated shipped eggs so I'm wondering if I should let them settle down by letting them sit for 24hrs before putting them in the bator?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yes, 24-48 hours resting before incubation. Hatch on!:) Deb

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    There are lots of opinions on this, so advice may vary. I personally look at the condition of the box and the eggs to decide on setting time. I candle the majority if not all of the eggs when they arrive and look at the condition of the box. If I see detached air cells and can tell they've had a rough trip, I let them sit for a day, then put them in without plugging in the turner for a couple days. That allows the air cell time to maybe reattach.
    If the aircells are all intact and they look really good, I'd just put them in as soon as they're room temperature and treat them as eggs I've collected from my own hens. Usually eggs are handled a bit too roughly for this though.

1 person likes this.
  4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Thanks - hadn't thought of candling them first, good idea. I'm excited - the bator is running! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by