1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating successfully

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by micah O, Sep 23, 2013.

1. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Hello i have not had very good success with my incubating, out of 30 eggs only six hatched but most of them had embryos. Please tell what i did wrong!!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad hatch. We need a lot more info to help you figure this out though, as there are a number of factors that can influence the hatch results. Can you tell us:

- What was the temperature in the incubator and was it a still or forced air incubator? (Still air = no fan, forced air = fan)
    - What was the humidity during the first 18 days (assuming this was chicken eggs) and during lockdown?
    - How did you place the eggs? Upright, or on their sides and if upright, which end went up?
    - How often did you turn the eggs?
    - How old were the eggs before you set them?
    - Were they from your own hens or were they shipped?
    - If they were from your hens, how old are the hens and what are you feeding them?

1 person likes this.
  3. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Thanks i will keep it in mind. The humidity was 30-50 and they were on there side and were from my hens and were about 7 days old and my incubator is a little Giant forced air. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. sburling1981

sburling1981 New Egg

May 18, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA
    Early this year was the first time I'd ever tried to incubate eggs, been raising farm chickens since childhood but always with broody hen. Out of 4 different batches, I've had 3 great hatch rates and one that was 3 out of 12. Those eggs were in with quail eggs that have a shorter incubation time and I believe the repeated opening of incubator made a difference. I've averaged a 80-90% hatch rate on ebay shipped eggs, and I've heard that makes a big difference. My incubator I also use an automatic turner and that seems to take out alot of guesswork and I dont have to repeatedly open the incubator or try and remember to turn eggs. One other thing I didn't know about was the lockdown period of not turning eggs and not opening incubator the last few days. Just some points I had to learn the hard way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by