Incubating Turkey Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by toto65, Jul 14, 2010.

1. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    Hi All,
    I had 4 turkey eggs that were due to hatch on July 6th. On the 3rd when they were locked down, there was movement in all 4 eggs. I finally gave in on July 9th and did "eggtopsies" on all 4. Poults seemed fully developed with egg sack showing on outside. The membrane was wrinkly, tough and almost a leathery consistency. Was this caused by a humidity problem? I do not have a wet thermometer and have been following the incubator instructions, added water to the second tray and put a damp sponge in at lockdown. The day they were locked down, we went into the first official heatwave we have had in 7 years. Could the extreme change in weather have had any part in this?
    I have another batch in the incubator now, 10 "suprise" turkeys and would love some input before I get too far into this batch. They went in on Friday the 9th. HELP!!! [​IMG]

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, turkeys naturally have a thicker membrane, but I would highly recommend getting a hygrometer or something. You can buy them for cheap at pet stores or walmart and they are invaluable for keeping track of humidity. It sounds like yours was too low.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I agree. Sounds like low humidity.

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I also agree withe the post above, I used to have the same problem, and now i'm full of turkeys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by