Incubating with Light bulbs.

Pemburu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Greetings all,

Lurker here. I recently caught the bug and have started that " hatch fever " thing. A friend loaned me a LG styrofoam incubator. It was frustrating to use ( I hatched 21 of 27 good eggs with it.. but it was painful to keep my eye on it all the time.) I decided to build my own and was wondering if anyone has problems with light bulbs burning out with the on/off cycle being above normal use. I currently have about a 3 min on/ 2 min off cycle, but would like to go to a higher watt bulb for better stability .... which would increase the cycling.

I started with new light bulbs and have plenty of spares. Just don't want to worry about them burning out while nobody is close by.

Thanks for your response.

I haven't had a problem with it. Probably will now that I've said that.LOL

I always have backup bulbs handy, but so far so good.

Congratulations on your hatch BTW.

Yea, assuming your bulb is close enough to your thermostat then yes going to a higher wattage will make it cycle faster.

I have not seen anyone complaining about bulbs blowing but it can happen. But even if it does right after you go to work, being cold for eight hours is not going to kill them.

I made a homemade incubator and use a dimmer switch. Doing a test run now and it seems to be holding steady.
smile.png

I reckon I won't sweat the light bulb burnout issue. I was worried that a few hours of cool down would do too much harm to the little fuzzball wannabees. Thanks for helping me sleep better at night. New to this....slowly learning how to relax

Back
Top Bottom