incubation experiment,do they have a chance?

Stoneymama

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
Ok so I have 10 eggs I put in my little giant still air incubator, these eggs are from my young hens ,they should be fertile as I checked a few eggs for fertility befor setting these 10.The ones I checked looked fertile , they had been in my fridge for about 2-3 weeks and I let them set out for 12-24hrs to get back to room temp befor placing them in my incubator. I know incubating eggs that have been in the fridge is not the best idea and they have a low chance of hatching because if that ,however they have been in my incubator for 2 days now ,its too soon to candle but I was wondering if anyone has successfully hatched refridgerated eggs?do they have a chance?

do they have a chance?
They sure do! Just not a very high one.. :lol: It's worth a shot.
I've incubated refrigerated eggs, and most of them hatched. They were not refrigerated for 2-3 weeks, like in your case. Eggs should be put in the incubator no longer than one week after being collected from the nest box.

I'm curious to see how it turns out. I would estimate only 2-3 hatching from your 10 eggs. If possible, add some new eggs into the incubator but keep the old ones, since you've already began incubating. If there is no space for newer eggs, wait 'till day 6 or so, so you know which ones are developing or not. Discard the non-developing ones, replace with new ones.

Keep me posted! ❤️ Good luck! :pop

Ok so I have 10 eggs I put in my little giant still air incubator, these eggs are from my young hens ,they should be fertile as I checked a few eggs for fertility befor setting these 10.The ones I checked looked fertile , they had been in my fridge for about 2-3 weeks and I let them set out for 12-24hrs to get back to room temp befor placing them in my incubator. I know incubating eggs that have been in the fridge is not the best idea and they have a low chance of hatching because if that ,however they have been in my incubator for 2 days now ,its too soon to candle but I was wondering if anyone has successfully hatched refridgerated eggs?do they have a chance?
Both my ducks, Raspberry & Blackberry, were refrigerator eggs! I bought farmers market eggs, left them in the fridge and then pulled out 3 to hatch. You may only have a few that don't make it all the way.

Good luck with your hatch! ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_162900647.jpg
    IMG_20210920_162900647.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 3
They may hatch, with not a very high hatch rate. This is because taking eggs out of the refrigerator for over one hour, will cause condensation on the eggs. The condensation will then take away the protective coating, or bloom that the hen coats each egg with. This leaves bacteria to come in to the egg.

They sure do! Just not a very high one.. :lol: It's worth a shot.
I've incubated refrigerated eggs, and most of them hatched. They were not refrigerated for 2-3 weeks, like in your case. Eggs should be put in the incubator no longer than one week after being collected from the nest box.

I'm curious to see how it turns out. I would estimate only 2-3 hatching from your 10 eggs. If possible, add some new eggs into the incubator but keep the old ones, since you've already began incubating. If there is no space for newer eggs, wait 'till day 6 or so, so you know which ones are developing or not. Discard the non-developing ones, replace with new ones.

Keep me posted! ❤️ Good luck! :pop
Thankyou so much for your input ,I do have a few new ones I could add to them ,I was wondering about adding some new ones but I'm a lil unsure about the hatching process if I do that ,wouldn't that drag out the hatch to long? Either way I still think it might be worth a shot 🙂I will post update in a few days .

Both my ducks, Raspberry & Blackberry, were refrigerator eggs! I bought farmers market eggs, left them in the fridge and then pulled out 3 to hatch. You may only have a few that don't make it all the way.

Good luck with your hatch! ❤️
Thankyou,This is very encouraging , your ducks are beautiful .

Have u had problems with the little giant incubator? Mine has done great i had a 80% hatch rate with my ducklings last year useing the same incubator I am now.

We just hatched several from our quail eggs that had been in our fridge for just as long or longer and they did surprisingly well. Lost one to trying to pip way too early and one that was stuck in egg too long (we don't assist generally), but other than it went pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom