Incubation Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SRB-1, Dec 18, 2014.

1. SRB-1

SRB-1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Good Morning Everyone

I am new to this site and have a few questions. I recently bought a hova-bator incubator and egg turner. I have read several different things about the vent plugs one thread says to leave it in for the first 10 days. One says to have at least one vent plug removed during the incubation process. Just wanted to get a little more information prior to setting eggs. the incubator is a fan type model. Also I was wondering what is expected for a hatch rate? I understand that there are several variables in this.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If it was new, I'd follow the instructions that came with it.
    If there were no instructions, I'd probably go with plugs in the first week then remove one second week and both the last week.

Too many variables to predict a hatch rate. It will be between 0 and 100% depending on fertility, storage, breeder nutrition/disease and incubation conditions, to name a few.

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    if you remove the vent plugs, it will allow more ventilation and this can help your incubator's humidity to regulate based on the room's humidity. I personally do not use the red vent plugs at any stage of incubation at all ever. it is most important that they be removed for maximum ventilation at the very end when baby chicks need to breathe. 50% is a good hatch rate goal to set expectations :)

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I leave my vents open for the duration of the incubation. Your temp and humidity are the big factors. (Beside the quality of eggs.) The vents definitely need to be open at lockdown through hatch. The first 17 days opinions differ about the vents. I recommend using at least 2 thermometers. If you are incubating shipped eggs the expected hatch rate is around 50% (optimal incubation conditions.) Local fresh eggs at optimal incubation conditions is significantly higher. (I've heard anywhere between 70-90% Of course 100% is possible.)

5. SRB-1

SRB-1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks for the help everyone one more question I have is. What is the rate of hens to roosters when incubating? I'm sure there are several variables here as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by