Incubation Humidity

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but about what humidity level should duck eggs be incubated at? I have been getting conflicting information from some of the reading I've been doing :/ Seems like they should be higher than chicken eggs humidity wise.

I do 60-65 for Incubation and 70ish for hatch. This is what I've had the best hatches with, personally.

But you will get some different answers on this one. I did anyway.

:)

You can see why they need more humidity. If the mom-duck is sitting on the nest, she is going to get herself wet every day. When she is off the nest to eat and drink, she will go into the water. When she comes back to the nest, she will plop her wet body down on the eggs and they will get wet. Therefore, duck eggs have evolved to "expect" to get wet every day.

Wild duck nests are going to be in damp areas, next to lakes or in marshes. Again, that leads to an egg that has evolved to be damp. Domestic ducks are quite different from wild ducks, but they still have originated from the same gene pool.

I incubate at 60-65% and lockdown for the hatch at 70-75% I used to keep my humidity around 55% and locked down at 65% but I was getting not so great hatches so I've bumped it up a bit and this will be my first test run I've got 3 eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow. 2 out of 3 were in their air cells yesterday and 1 has pipped through the shell this morning. After this I will have 22 eggs due in a couple weeks so I will report back and let you know how bumping the humidity up has changed my hatch outcome.

I incubate at 60-65% and lockdown for the hatch at 70-75% I used to keep my humidity around 55% and locked down at 65% but I was getting not so great hatches so I've bumped it up a bit and this will be my first test run I've got 3 eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow. 2 out of 3 were in their air cells yesterday and 1 has pipped through the shell this morning. After this I will have 22 eggs due in a couple weeks so I will report back and let you know how bumping the humidity up has changed my hatch outcome.

How did it turn out?

Back
Top Bottom