Incubation not going well - just venting.

ChickAsThieves

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Northeast
I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. I have successfully hatched out chicks in this same incubator twice about 4 years ago. This time around just isn't going as smoothly as it did in the past. This model does not include a hygrometer which completely baffles me. Proper humidity levels are so important for a successful hatch that I can't understand why any company wouldn't include a built-in hygrometer, but I digress. I should have done more research before I bought it. I added a reptile hygrometer, which works great but impedes the proper turning of some of the larger eggs so I have to put it in, wait a bit to read it, and then remove it. I don't like opening the incubator any more than I have to so this isn't ideal. This morning I noticed some condensation at the edges of the incubator so clearly the humidity is too high. I put the hygrometer in to check the humidity, but got distracted by getting ready for work and I forgot to check it or remove it. Now I'm at work for another 9.5 hours. The humidity is too high and the hygrometer will keep the eggs from rotating correctly. Today is Day 5 so I will candle tonight and see how things look but I'm overall just disappointed in the incubator. I'm also disappointed in myself for forgetting to pull the hygrometer out. Ugh.

I just ordered a Kebonnixs (for 12 eggs) and will set some new eggs once it arrives. Has anyone used that brand before? I couldn't justify the cost of a Brinsea Mini II EX just to get a unit with a hygrometer. The Kebonnixs has overwhelmingly good reviews so I've got my fingers crossed!

I use the Brinsea Mini Advance II and just set it and forget it. It has no hygrometer but the eggs hatch perfect every time. I think you are over-focused on the hygrometer- there is an insane amount of research that goes into these little devices from all brands to ensure they hatch right. This specific model has a 4.6 star rating on Amazon with 435 reviews... you wouldn't get that if it didn't work right. If you are more comfortable looking at a hygrometer, then you're making the right choice upgrading.

I don't think I'm over-focused. The condensation on the inside of the cover indicates that the humidity is too high so there clearly is an issue with that. I'm guessing it's because the a/c is on in the house (mainly for my dogs) and I have never hatched in the summer before. We'll see, I guess! I'm not giving up on them yet. :)

I don't have a hygrometer in my brinsea mini advance II. It still gets good results. As @BaaKaaawk said, incubators are made in a way that it can control humidity. If you'd feel more comfortable with a hygrometer, that's your choice. Just don't worry too much, your eggs still have a chance!
Good luck with your hatch- hope you get plenty of little babies!

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance.... This model does not include a hygrometer which completely baffles me. Proper humidity levels are so important for a successful hatch that I can't understand why any company wouldn't include a built-in hygrometer
https://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/Humidity.aspx
Here's Brinsea's own page about humidity.

If you read through it, you will see that humidity does not need to be controlled as precisely as temperature. What matters is for the eggs to lose the correct amount of moisture during incubation. It does not have to be lost at an exactly even rate.

If you don't have a hygrometer, they recommend weighing the eggs, and calculating the correct amount of weight loss. Adjust the humidity up or down if the eggs are not losing weight at the ideal rate.

(I have read information about incubation for many decades. The advice has consistently been to monitor the humidity by the size of the air cell, or by weighing the eggs. Even with a hygrometer, the advice is STILL to double-check the humidity by actually checking the eggs.)

https://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/Humidity.aspx
Here's Brinsea's own page about humidity.

If you read through it, you will see that humidity does not need to be controlled as precisely as temperature. What matters is for the eggs to lose the correct amount of moisture during incubation. It does not have to be lost at an exactly even rate.

If you don't have a hygrometer, they recommend weighing the eggs, and calculating the correct amount of weight loss. Adjust the humidity up or down if the eggs are not losing weight at the ideal rate.

(I have read information about incubation for many decades. The advice has consistently been to monitor the humidity by the size of the air cell, or by weighing the eggs. Even with a hygrometer, the advice is STILL to double-check the humidity by actually checking the eggs.)
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom