Incubation or heat lamp?

Apr 13, 2021
Australia
Hello, is it possible or has anyone here hatched eggs using a heat lamp instead of an egg incubator? And if so how did you go about it? If not what's a good egg incubator brand in your opinion?

Hello, is it possible or has anyone here hatched eggs using a heat lamp instead of an egg incubator? And if so how did you go about it? If not what's a good egg incubator brand in your opinion?
I don't think incubating with just a heat lamp would be good, but I've never hatched babies before!

It is possible, yes. It takes alot more work and dedication though. Alot more hands on to keep temperature and humidity right. If you do it with a heat sourse other than an incubator, the container and insulation you do it in is equally as important. I wouldn't reccomend it, but if you really want to, do your research. There's plenty of articles and how tos to achieve a homemade incubator hatch.

A heat lamp usually provides heat all the time. If the room gets warmer or cooler, so does the space under the lamp. Chicks do just fine, because they go closer to the lamp or farther away from the lamp, but eggs cannot move around to adjust their own temperature.

An incubator has a thermostat to turn the heat on and off as needed. That is how it keeps a consistent temperature.

If you wanted to use a heat lamp to hatch eggs, I would suggest you look for a thermostat to turn it on and off as needed. But it is probably cheaper, and it is certainly easier, to just use an incubator that is already designed to do that.

Back
Top Bottom