Incubation vs buying baby chicks

KM2H

Songster
May 24, 2021
Hello everyone,
I recently adopted a small flock of Barred Plymouth Rock. 6 hens and a rooster. They are converting me into the crazy chicken lady and so I would like to add a couple more. I have read that the hens don't go broody very often so I thought it would be a good idea to get some female baby chicks of a breed that can be good moms to do the job, then my husband suggested I get an incubator since our eggs are most likely fertilized.
I have two little children 1 and 3 so my hands are sort of full, add to it the chickens, two potbelly pigs and five sheep. What is best in my situation? Incubate or buy baby chicks that can do the job as nature intended? Thanks for any advice

Hello everyone,
I recently adopted a small flock of Barred Plymouth Rock. 6 hens and a rooster. They are converting me into the crazy chicken lady and so I would like to add a couple more. I have read that the hens don't go broody very often so I thought it would be a good idea to get some female baby chicks of a breed that can be good moms to do the job, then my husband suggested I get an incubator since our eggs are most likely fertilized.
I have two little children 1 and 3 so my hands are sort of full, add to it the chickens, two potbelly pigs and five sheep. What is best in my situation? Incubate or buy baby chicks that can do the job as nature intended? Thanks for any advice
Buy females, unless you are ready to deal with a lot of males. Even buying female chicks result in some males to pop up here and there.

Yes, this is absolutely what I want. I already have a rooster.
Yeah, you wont want any males attacking and flogging, that can be really dangerous with kids involved. Try to rehome/get rid of the extra males as fast as possible when they start to become apparent.

Hello everyone,
As for breed, wyandottes, silkies, cochins, and orphingtons tend to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom