Incubation

chickenkenny

Hatching
Nov 6, 2015
Been raising chickens for about five years or so, but just started trying to hatch my own eggs. Could anybody tell me which is best, vertical or horizontal hatching of eggs?

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Vertical (small end down) is nice if you have a means of turning them so the yolk can be kept centered. If not (as in a turner or tilted egg cartons) then laying on the side is better so they can better be turned by hand.

Last edited:

chickenkenny

Hatching
Nov 6, 2015
Thanks for the info. Also have read not to wash eggs with water but to use fine sand paper and rub gently just enough to remove any debris. Any thoughts on this?

Yorkshire Coop

Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Here is an excellent article on incubating ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
Lots of great info to read in it. For me I don't wash or sand paper any eggs prior to incubation. Doing this can remove the bloom which keeps bacteria out of the egg. Removing the bloom could allow bacteria to affect the developing embryo. I only incubate clean unsoiled eggs.

Good luck with your future incubations amd enjoy BYC :frow

chickenkenny

Hatching
Nov 6, 2015
Hey thanks, what you say does make sense! Have to keep it in mind next time I get ready to try another batch.

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
welcome-byc.gif

You've received some good information so I'll just say hello, it's nice to have you here!

Top Bottom