Incubator and egg costs?

Flyboy718

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
I am looking at purchasing 3-4 meat birds every 6-8 weeks to keep a steady supply of chicken meat available for my family. Wondering if it would be more cost effective to purchase the chicks or purchase an incubator and eggs? The hatchery I bought my egg layers from has a minimum order of $25 so it would never be worth it in my opinion to purchase 3-4 chicks from a hatchery. I am currently trying to locate someone nearby that can fill my need by purchasing from them but I am having a very hard time locating someone. Need some advice!

You can get a hovabator for around $75 dollars and hatching eggs for around $10 if you keep a few hens and a rooster you could have a supply of eggs for hatching and eating for free. Coturnix quail are also fab as they are cheap to keep and mature around 6-8 weeks
smile.png

What we do to keep meat in the freezer here is raise about 20-30 chicks that I hatch out and then butcher the cockerels between 16-22 weeks usually around the time the pullets begin to lay. We also raise Cornish X and when we do that we raise then in a chicken tractor and we raise 25 or so. That gets us eggs and meat.

Maybe look for a broody hen breeds like silkies or cochins?
Incubators are nice but can be costly.

Nate

I agree with getting a Silkie to hatch for you. They are wonderful Moms and usually hatch anything. Plus if you can pick up chicks you could let her raise them. They don't really care about the breed, they are great Moms. TSC or Coop should have chicks come spring. Incubating is A LOT of work. Maybe more trouble that what is is worth for your purposes. You could always check Craigslist for extra boys those are usually pretty cheep or even free and it would very little work on your end.

Good luck with your choice.

I only need 3 as I can only have 6 chickens...I live in the city. 3 egg layers and 3 meaties.

I would definitely advertise your needs on your local Craigslist "farm & garden" page -- can almost guarantee there are people out there looking to sell a few birds every month or two but can't find the right customer. Either that or you'll find lots of city folks like you looking to "unload" the unexpected young roosters they've discovered among their backyard flocks. Best of luck!

Me & Jack :

I would definitely advertise your needs on your local Craigslist "farm & garden" page -- can almost guarantee there are people out there looking to sell a few birds every month or two but can't find the right customer. Either that or you'll find lots of city folks like you looking to "unload" the unexpected young roosters they've discovered among their backyard flocks. Best of luck!

i agree, craigslist is a goood way to get dang near free meat. always someone on there trying to get rid of a rooster or 2 for nothing or next to nothing..​

Back
Top Bottom