incubator/brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the simple life, May 2, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    I am new to this and would like to know if something that I already own can be used for an incubator or brooder.
    It is a cube shaped glass tank that opens outward with double doors.
    It has a wire mesh cover
    thermometer
    humidity gage
    heat lamps with regular, purple and red bulbs.
    heating pad underneath the unit.
    This was an expensive set up for another animal but didn't end up using it.
    Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this.
    Thank You,
    Natalie

2. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    The best answer I could think is to answer this question:

1) Can it maintain a consistent temperature of 99.5

if not.. then no

if yes... Then add a container to hold water for humidity.

Your largest problem I can see is the wire mesh cover, replace this with a better sealing lid. Keep in mind you'll need some ventilation.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have one of those glass tanks you are talking about. I use it as a booder for quail. I've been able to get the temps up to 98* by cover part of the top mesh with a towel. Then I use a 75w red heat lamp that sit on the top for the babies. I'm sure if you worked it around enough you might be able to keep the temps up to use as a incubator. Can't hurt to try and let it run for a few days to a week to tweek the temps & humidity before setting eggs. It has the built in air vent under the doors so I think it would work if you could find a way to cover most of the top up.

4. the simple life

AUTOMATIC TOP HATCH INCUBATOR-For a Wide Variety of Egg

WWW.gubitosa1@yahoo.com

Gubitosa's Game Bird Supplies

AUTOMATIC TOP HATCH INCUBATOR
    Tech Temp Control gives nonfluctuating heat

14 Reasons why you'll never buy another Styrofoam incubator
    Hygiene: Our tray is removable and dishwasher safe. Styrofoam pores hide pathogens and the surface cannot be scrubbed.
    More even heat: Our Tech Temp Control adjusts for temperature fluctuations caused by any changes in the environment. Tech Temp Control adjust to temperature changes more quickly than a wafer / snap action switch. Fewer hot spots and no forced blasts of air.
    Continual Air Exchange: Standard equipment fan gently mixes heated air which billows throughout tray.
    Protected rolling of the eggs: Accomplished with our STANDARD AUTOMATIC TURNER.
    Turning Rack: Does not need to be removed for hatching.
    Universal egg rack: No need to buy separate cups for different species.
    Built-in candling inspection system: No need to incur extra expense to candle for fertility and humidity.
    Total visibility to eggs: No more small windows covered with condensation. No extra investment for a clear top.
    Self-diagnostic heat source: You always know you've got heat - just look at the light.
    Readily available heat source: Replacement heat is far away as your nearest bulb retailer (60 watts, Candelabra Base)
    Newly hatched chicks safe from heat: The heating elements found in styrofoam can burn the beaks of curious chicks.
    A complete design: No after-thought add-ons. You don't need to cut holes in styrofoam to add our automatic turner cordset.
    No extension ring: Not needed for larger eggs such as goose and turkey because 7" (17.8 cm) of clearance is standard.
    Durability and value: You don't get a 2-year warranty on styrofoam. Our incubator is designed for years of service yet our unit is comparably priced to disposable competitive models.
    Incubator Specifications
    Model No. Description Egg Capacity (approximate) Overall Diameter Inches (cm) Shipping Weight Lbs. (kg)
    Chicken Quail Pheasant Turkey Goose
    THI20 Top Hatch Incubator, 110v 48 120 48 24 16 18 (45.7) 11.0 (5.0)

5. the simple life

Hi,
    I just posted an incubator I have been considering.
    Any thoughts on this one compared to the styrofoam ones?
    Its comparable as far as price since it comes with everything you need and you don't have to purchase the egg turners and all that. I think it may end up being even cheaper.
    I am not sure if the link I attached to it worked in the post but they have a large website.
    Blessings,
    Natalie

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I think someone on byc has or had one and didn't like it. Not sure I don't have that kind maybe someone will chime in that does have it and can offer advice on the pros & cons of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by