Incubator decision (opinions please)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Amarisus, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    So my hubby agreed to let me get another incubator [​IMG] I wanted something nicer and easier to adjust then my current one (a regular hovabator) and I wanted it to be a reasonable price. So I narrowed it down to two choices "hovaBator Genesis 1588" or "Octagon 20 Eco"
    My husband said I should try out a different brand but I kinda wanted something that held more eggs. But I want to see what you guys have to say and hear your opinions and experiences with either of them. Thanks [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I really, really like my Octogon 40---it can hold more than the stated 40, and the turner is a real treat. My only complaint is the water pans are too small, but I live in the desert and humidity is a problem no matter what I do.

3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Deffinately brinsea, have 3 and love them, don't have a problem with temp or humudity.

4. JulzRuss

JulzRuss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Squaw Valley
    I am a first timer with incubating and hatching eggs. I'm on my 14th day as of now, and it seems to be going really well. The incubator is a Brinsea Eco 20 and has been really self regulating to an extent. I have had to add water every 3 days and thats about it. I do have the automatic turner and its a snap as well-it actually turns the whole incubator rather than a tray for the eggs. The only problem I forsee is when I go into lockdown-I will have to kick up the humidity somehow with sponges or towels as I have both reservoirs filled to keep my humidity arond 40-45%. But the weather here has been pretty dry lately. I don't think it will be a big deal to accomplish, but other than that issue I really love the Brinsea. It is constructed really well and should last for some time. As for the other brand you refer to, I cannot give an opinion since my only experience is from the Brinsea line. Happy hunting!!!!

5. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Thanks for the input. The regulating humidity was my only real concern with the brinsea. I just really want something that has a set temp because I hate having to adjust it myself it's a pain [​IMG]

6. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:I have genesis 1588 and works very good

I have hatched many chicks form there

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have the Brinsea Octagon ECO and I LOVE it, the temperature isn't hard to adjust and has stayed steady my whole incubation period! I just had to put some paper towels trailing out of the water troughs to raise my humidity when I went into lockdown, it was a snap and I just had 5 out of 6 eggs hatch, while that last egg is rocking and rolling and peeping and being a stress inducer mainly. [​IMG]

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i recomend the Exo Terra Incubator. its for reptiles but works great for chicks

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Hovabator. Holds more eggs and costs less.

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:I ordered the ReptiPro 5000 (Same company and incubator) and it only worked for 6 hatches then the heating element and fan went out.
    Only had it for 4 months too. [​IMG] Bought it in Late December lasted until April when it finally died while incubateing eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by