Incubator eggs at day 22

Caoimhe3210

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
I was hoping for a bit of advice I have chicken and duck eggs that are at day 22 in the incubator I took them out to do the water test 2 of the chicken eggs and 1 of the duck eggs went straight to the bottom the others rested on top but no movement. Only one duck egg moved. What do you think? I cant find anything on eggs that just went straight to the bottom online? Thanks in advance

Have you candled them? I do not use the water test, but from a quick google search, an egg that sinks to the bottom is supposed to be infertile. Since I don't use that test however (too stressful to the chick imo if the egg is still alive), I can't be a good judge of your results.

Day 22 is to early for a duck egg. Leave those alone.

Some chicks hatch later than others; not all are right on track at day 21. I had one that hatched day 24 once.

Have you candled them? I do not use the water test, but from a quick google search, an egg that sinks to the bottom is supposed to be infertile. Since I don't use that test however (too stressful to the chick imo if the egg is still alive), I can't be a good judge of your results.

Some chicks hatch later than others; not all are right on track at day 21. I had one that hatched day 24 once.
Its too early for the ducks i have chicken eggs that are at day 27 don't panic just keep an eye on them

I don't really trust the water test because the air cell will develop even if it is infertile. Therefore it will float. An egg that sinks could be internally pipped (I don't actually know, this is just my 'scientific' thinking) because the chick will fill up the air cell, so the egg won't float. Not all eggs will rock and move before hatching.

Oh really I couldnt find anything on it so thank you, yes I know the duck eggs aren't till around day 28. They might be hatching the same day as the chickens at this rate! Do you know if it's ok to prop the eggs up when its hatching time?

I don't really trust the water test because the air cell will develop even if it is infertile. Therefore it will float. An egg that sinks could be internally pipped (I don't actually know, this is just my 'scientific' thinking) because the chick will fill up the air cell, so the egg won't float. Not all eggs will rock and move before hatching.
Yes that makes sense!😊 fungers crossed they're all ok! Do you know if it's ok to prop the eggs before they hatch?

Oh really I couldnt find anything on it so thank you, yes I know the duck eggs aren't till around day 28. They might be hatching the same day as the chickens at this rate! Do you know if it's ok to prop the eggs up when its hatching time?
Propped? What for? I shut my turner off and lay them on their sides at day 18. That allows them to orient themselves into a position proper for hatching.

Propped? What for? I shut my turner off and lay them on their sides at day 18. That allows them to orient themselves into a position proper for hatching.
Nit sure I've just seen it in a fee articles and videos wanted to know what the best way was

Back
Top Bottom