Incubator Face-Off! comparison and review

Who needs a fancy incubator when its more fun to build one yourself. I was not impressed with the prices of incubators when I started a few years ago so I made my first incubator out of a hello fresh box. Took apart an old lamp to attach the heater and used an Arduino uno kit I had to set up the lamp and temp/humidity readings. Added a PC fan and programmed the settings and bam super cheap incubator. Every year I have rebuilt it and tweaked it. This year I upgraded to use a home depot 102L storage bin to make it my permanent incubator. For $80 I built an incubator that can comfortable hold 50 eggs and all parts are easily replaceable and repairable.

I rambled on there, I will be following along as I enjoy all of the incubation comparison threads.
This is awesome!!
I also started out making my own. My first about 17 years ago was an old Colman cooler that I rigged with a lamp and a water heater thermostat. It worked wonderfully. After a few years it broke down and fell apart- I tried to make more iterations, fancier each time but none were as good as the first.

Im at a place in life where I can play a little more so I figured why not try some of the most approachable all in one table top units and see if a pre made one is less fuss OR less fun.

Today I decided to take a snap shot of my Govee thermohygrometer grafts showing the whole days fluctuation and averages. Each image has the name of the incubator it represents.

The NR 360 keeps a TIGHT temperature rating as you can see barely fluctuating, while the Janoel and Kebonnix oscillate up and down but really only within a degree variant.
I’m paying most attention to their averages- all are good.
Also noting any highs or lows and for how long they stayed there. ( only short moments )
Any huge spikes were from opening things for a quick moment - the NR 360 I am hand turning and trying a slightly lower humidity.

Humidity was a lil funny today because I let things dry up a bit and then added some water this evening.
I’ll do more of these as we get into later stages.

Attachments

• IMG_7308.png
    IMG_7308.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7310.jpeg
    IMG_7310.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7311.jpeg
    IMG_7311.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 6
Day 10 on the Runner Duck eggs.
I checked for viable life today- still have 9 strong babies!
4 left in the Janoel12 and 5 left in the Kebonnix.
Notes on each bator-
The Janoel and Kebonnix seem to stay within a degree or so.

The Janoel has slightly larger swings up and down within that degree. I noticed the temp dropped a bit when I moved my govee over just a little- ** I do wish the thermometer probe that registered its temp was central to the incubator but its off on a slightly far side that the eggs don't fully sit at when in the tuner. When I moved my govee away from the area of the probe it determined the temp was almost an additional degree lower, and even farther over another degree ontop of that. However, it does keep a higher humidity quite well. From one side of It to the other it could be 100 to 98. I thought about putting a water wiggler or some polished stones on the other side to help keep radiant warmth throughout/ balanced.
Kebonnix holds a pretty dang stable temp still. trying to get the humidity up enough ( in the stable 50s) has to stay monitored, I have to add water once a day at least. I dont mind that.
I DO love the viewing capacity of the Kebonnix much like the NR 360. its also nice that when in the turner I can nearly candle the eggs from outside of the incubator with a strong flashlight.

The NR 360 is the most stable of all, no surprise. It stays right on track within 0.2 of a degree. humidity is also kind of like the kebonnix. Just needs tending to.

I also started the process of cooling for 10 min and giving a misting today.

Hi Y'all!

Update: eggs have been coming and going over the last week or two, getting things organized into the proper incubators.

Duck eggs are a few days out from hatch and I ended up with 6 strong eggs between Janoel12 and Kebonnix-
I felt the Kebonnix had the most accurate and stable temps so a few days ago I transitioned all the duck eggs into the Kebonnix for the remainder of their hatch.

NR360: The 360 is super stable, however the batch of eggs
I had ordered for it had some rough shipping and out of like 28 eggs only 2 developed. So I put those two eggs into the kebonnix with the ducks ( until I put them in the hatcher) and got a new set of eggs- a bunch of Seramas and Bantam Cochins.
I had way more eggs than the tuner would allow so I packed it and will hand turn for the first few days until I can cull the undeveloped ones. I think I fit about 45 bantam eggs to the gills in it.
BIG NOTE is that with that many eggs the NR struggled to get the temp up enough and I have had to adjust the temperature because it was stuck down at 95/96 even after overnight. ( hopefully didnt screw the eggs.)
The one thing I have found in common with the 360 and the Kebonnix is the humidity can be a struggle to keep up, they dry out quick, but then even a little bit of water added will cause a spike so I'm still trying to find a happy medium, I think I will look into trying the shoestring method where you feed a sting into the water reservoir that is attached to a cup of water outside the bator and feeds it a slow drip.

One thing that I find particularly interesting about the Janoel12 is the placement of the temp thermostat - I notice its kinda off to the side of the incubator and up higher, rather than down central to egg level- it is ziptied to the cieling and I am thinkin about cutting the zip tie and rearranging it lower and slightly more central to see if that gives me a more stable temp reading at egg level. The other thing that is kinda weird is the tuner is an odd device that protrudes from the cieling and is s metal bar that slowly spins so it takes up some egg space. the metal bar is attached with nuts and bolts and for hand turning I would honestly just take it out if you can unscrew it.
This is all a bunch of rambling but I will take pictures soon. Stay tuned for hatch this coming week!

Hi Y'all!

Update: eggs have been coming and going over the last week or two, getting things organized into the proper incubators.

Duck eggs are a few days out from hatch and I ended up with 6 strong eggs between Janoel12 and Kebonnix-
I felt the Kebonnix had the most accurate and stable temps so a few days ago I transitioned all the duck eggs into the Kebonnix for the remainder of their hatch.

NR360: The 360 is super stable, however the batch of eggs
I had ordered for it had some rough shipping and out of like 28 eggs only 2 developed. So I put those two eggs into the kebonnix with the ducks ( until I put them in the hatcher) and got a new set of eggs- a bunch of Seramas and Bantam Cochins.
I had way more eggs than the tuner would allow so I packed it and will hand turn for the first few days until I can cull the undeveloped ones. I think I fit about 45 bantam eggs to the gills in it.
BIG NOTE is that with that many eggs the NR struggled to get the temp up enough and I have had to adjust the temperature because it was stuck down at 95/96 even after overnight. ( hopefully didnt screw the eggs.)
The one thing I have found in common with the 360 and the Kebonnix is the humidity can be a struggle to keep up, they dry out quick, but then even a little bit of water added will cause a spike so I'm still trying to find a happy medium, I think I will look into trying the shoestring method where you feed a sting into the water reservoir that is attached to a cup of water outside the bator and feeds it a slow drip.

One thing that I find particularly interesting about the Janoel12 is the placement of the temp thermostat - I notice its kinda off to the side of the incubator and up higher, rather than down central to egg level- it is ziptied to the cieling and I am thinkin about cutting the zip tie and rearranging it lower and slightly more central to see if that gives me a more stable temp reading at egg level. The other thing that is kinda weird is the tuner is an odd device that protrudes from the cieling and is s metal bar that slowly spins so it takes up some egg space. the metal bar is attached with nuts and bolts and for hand turning I would honestly just take it out if you can unscrew it.
This is all a bunch of rambling but I will take pictures soon. Stay tuned for hatch this coming week!
Thanks for the update! :)

Back
Top Bottom