Incubator fell to 96.9 overnight

txchickie

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Texas
On day 11...how bad is this?
sad.png
I don't know for sure how long it was like that, but I went to bed at 11pm and it was at 99.9 (where it has held steady from day 1) and at 7am it was 96.9
barnie.gif

My power went off for 3 hours one night, the temp dropped to around 85°. All of ours were still fine and hatched. It was just like the hen got off the nest for 3 hours. lol
lol.png

Txchick,
Mine has done that and they were fine. Do you have a draft?...It's turned really cold here and I had noticed that when the door to the room the bator is, is opened, I'd have a temp drop. So I tried a few things and this is what I've found. I can raise the room temp and that helps(doesn't stop draft though) or I can double fold a bath towel length wise and wrap edges of bator. I'm wrapping at the moment is very cold here. The wrap keeps any cold from creeping into the bator and adds more insulation. Since I've did this my temps have stayed stable between 99.6 and 100.2. Just keep in mind not to cover the top vent holes. I just wrap the sides and front leaving the back open. Seems to work for me. If I recall correctly you're using a LG too?
Ehhh I think with these LG's you really have to work with them.....
fl.gif
...they don't work with you.

P.S.
The wrapping doesn't cost, turning up the room heat does. I think the wrap actually works better.
Good luck.

Suz

Ours all dropped to 78 and 79 the eggs were cold as can be...some were in lockdown 7 of 10 hatched others were half way through they are now showing the most ill effects but still looking like a decent hatch-hatching as I type the one's just put in hours before the power outage were all fine with no quitters. 96 is not to worry about as long as it doesn't keep happening..if it does again start looking to why.until then take a deep breath
smile.png

When I was little, our incubator was a small rectangular trashcan and my old bedside lamp. Mom kept a thermometer on top of the eggs and adjusted the lamp until all was perfect. I had what must have been my first Blonde Moment: I turned off the lamp. I mean, my parents were always yelling about the electric bill and here was this light on... When Mom and Dad got back home I got an earfull. I went crying into my room, convinced I had killed all the unborn chicks. After a parental conference, one of them came in and said things were most likely all right. (It's been years and who said exactly what isn't that important.) "The old hen gets up to grab a bite to eat, some water to drink, and poops while off the nest. Hatching eggs don't stay 100 degrees exactly for those 21 days."

If you don't have an auto-turner, the temp drops any time you roll the eggs. I keep a notebook with the times I rotate and the temperature updates. It's been extra cold here, so the whole house is colder than normal. I layered flannel tablecloths under the incubator and around the side away from me. Even if a Mama hen was sitting on these eggs, I would bet they wouldn't be exactly 100 degrees with it 26 degrees outside. "Best" and "Optimal" are just that. We do our best since we are not sitting there saying "That one under my right leg seems cold... I need to move it to the center and warm it up..."

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom