Incubator gone nuts?

Windsor

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Northern Neck of Virginia
Duck eggs, we're on day 24 on five eggs and 17 on other fifteen. When I got up this morning, the temp was just below 80, I checked last night before I went to bed - so it wasn't but for about six hours. I adjusted the temp up and put the eggs in warm water. Got the temp adjusted properly as I was getting the eggs back in. Checked it several times before heading outside to so some work.

Came in after lunch and found the temp at 103. Ugh. Adjusted back down and monitoring. Any chance these ducklings will survive? It's never had such swings before.

Mike

Hi Mike, I can't help you much but here's a bump anyway to get u started.
My incubator cut out for a few hours last Sunday and yet 15 of 23 still hatched out so don't give up hope, let us know if any hatch, best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Eggs are much slower than the air around around them to gain or lose heat. It can take hours of a temp change for the core of the egg to change- so while such huge temp swings can be bad- You may not loose them all. Give it another day- and candle the eggs.

I just candled and dunked all the eggs. Only one had no movement. This is my first time trying to hach anything. Started with 50. Glad I have 20 still going.

I'll update later, I understand I am to stop turning at day 25. So I've got a place for the five that will need that ready.

Thanks much!

Mike

Last edited:
Did you leave the egg in just in case?? Its always better to give them the benefit of the doubt if you are not completely sure the duckling inside has died.

Are you using an auto turner??

If you are having storms, or even if you aren't, and you have an electronic thermostat it may be going wacky. I had this problem last year on a cabinet incubator...shifts in barometric pressure can put an already faulty/old/worn out thermostat out of whack. So if you have one of those, I would look at replacing it.

Nope, it was stinking. I opened it today, the little embryo looked okay, and the egg contents were not as fowl as before. Rats...

I've pulled several out in the past week, two were from the first batch, but they were quite dead. The yolk was solid and the embryo decaying.

In other cases, I wasn't so sure. But there seemd to be dark patches inside the shell - on the membrane. A few looked fine, and a few were smelly. When I had chicken eggs go bad earlier this week, they were smelly, but I didn't notice it until there was goo seeping out of two of them, gluing them in place. I was able to remove them, when I cracked those two - POW! Out of seven chicken eggs, six were bad.

Tomorrow, first group goes stationary - what's the reasons behind this? They need to be big end up, anything else?

Mike

Okay, Looking at an egg I think as bad. There has been no movement for two days, I no longer see any blood vessels, and there's dark spots or areas in the shell membrane. No oder, that I can tell yet, but something is starting to smell again in the incubator. All the other eggs smell fine and the oldest all have movement for the past two days. I checked the younger batch yesterday and the only one without movement is this one.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom