1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator hatched chicks drinking water for the first time . . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scoopy82, Jun 5, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I currently have 21 incubator hatched chicks in the brooder and I'm just wondering how people give them the idea about drinking water and eating the chick food. Most of my lot seem to be super curious about the food and have picked up straight away on eating it, but I'm just a little worried about the water situation. I have seen a few drink, and dipped a few beaks into the water when they were first put in - but i didn't do all of them in hope that the others would see some drinking and catch on. What does everyone else do? Do they pretty much work it out for themselves or do they all need to be shown?

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I do the beak dip when I have had chicks in the house. But when mama hatches them outside I don't do anything so I am assuming they do learn from watching others.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They do learn from each other, but over the next couple of days I would be sure to watch to make sure they're all drinking. If you suspect one or two aren't, just dip their beaks in the water. It's never too late to show 'em how. But you'll probably discover they learn from each other.

...especially if you let the waterer get empty, because when you fill it and put it back in the brooder, every chick will gather 'round to drink.....

Guess how I know this. [​IMG]

4. steelshot

steelshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't beak dip all of them, like Shannon said I believe they quickly learn from the others. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by