incubator help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenthumb89, Jun 18, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    i am wondering if anyone has had any succes with the little school incubators, the ones that hold 2-3 eggs? i am asking because i would like to try hatching a few eggs, only 2 just to see if i can and i dont want to sink a lot of money into an incubator and those little ones only cost 20 dollars. any help would be wonderful thanks luke

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Folks have had success, but I think they recommend getting some of the other larger ones for a higher success rate.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have heard of people using them, but if you watch you can find LG's that have been used for almost the same price! Try posting a wanted add on Craigslist or your local freecycle. You could also see if the local high schools might have one you could borrow. Especially since it is summer! Maybe even a local 4-H club would have one they could lend you. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Success in those things are few and far between. I have never heard of more than 1 chick hatching at best. Chickens are social and a lone chick doesn't thrive as well as one living with a chick friend. As an unexperienced hatcher I can't imagine you would have very good results. You would be better off with a larger incubator and 6 - 12 eggs.

You can build one. See the link in my signature line. People are building and having great success.

5. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    thanks for the help everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by