Incubator humidity question

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all!

I live in SE Louisiana, so it's really humid here. Right now it's 47% humidity in my house. I have a bator going (Brinsea Mini II Advance) and I added water, but now I'm not sure I should have. @janiedoe lives in East Texas, and she ran the bator dry until lockdown, then added water. I don't have a hygrometer, and there's 12 bantam eggs in the bator right now. Do I need to add water to the bator while it's running? I was thinking 1-2 tsp every 2-3 days, since it's so humid here.

TIA!

It's hard to tell if you should add water, but I will say that when we hatch in Titusville, FL we don't add water until lockdown. Checking the air cell or weighing the eggs is the best way to tell if they are losing the right amount of weight.

It's hard to tell if you should add water, but I will say that when we hatch in Titusville, FL we don't add water until lockdown. Checking the air cell or weighing the eggs is the best way to tell if they are losing the right amount of weight.
I thought I was tripping when I saw BrinseaUS :lau Thank you so much!

Hi, not an answer just interested to know how you are going running the incubator dry? I live in a high humidity area too and get very nervous about fluctuations adding water then stressing when it goes too high. I also seem to have an incubator that reads totally different to the independent gauge I bought. Thanks

Hi, not an answer just interested to know how you are going running the incubator dry? I live in a high humidity area too and get very nervous about fluctuations adding water then stressing when it goes too high. I also seem to have an incubator that reads totally different to the independent gauge I bought. Thanks
Hey! I ended up not running the incubator dry- the hygrometers read 18-20% RH even though my house was at 50%+. Which incubator are you using? Never trust the thermometer/hygrometer that's built in to bators. Better safe than sorry to double or triple check. Have you calibrated your independent hygrometer?

Thanks, it is a janoel imitation one. I use an independent hygrometer which I have checked and adjusted. It drops humidity overnight, like you our house is 56% humidity currently and incubator is about 25%. I will try not to worry about it too much until lockdown, only on day 1.5. Good luck with your hatch!

Thanks, it is a janoel imitation one. I use an independent hygrometer which I have checked and adjusted. It drops humidity overnight, like you our house is 56% humidity currently and incubator is about 25%. I will try not to worry about it too much until lockdown, only on day 1.5. Good luck with your hatch!
You too! I add about 2-3 pipettes of water to my Brinsea Mini II Advance whenever the humidity drops.

Back
Top Bottom