Incubator humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AustinM741, Jun 5, 2011.

1. AustinM741

AustinM741 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    What is the humidity supposed to be for chicken eggs? Duck eggs?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Humidity for chicken eggs is supposed to be 50% humidity for day 1-18, then 70-80% for the last few days. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You can also do dry incubation, which I do. I add no water and the humidity stays around 20% or so the first 18 days. I will mist them once or twice during incubation with some incubation disinfectant. Then on day 18 I bump it up to around 65-70%.

4. AustinM741

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    Thanks. [​IMG]
    What about ducks?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I do my ducks basically the same as my chicken eggs. I just mist the eggs daily and keep humidity at hatch around 75%.

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on where you live, how much the relative humidity is in the room where you keep the incubator.

Everyone has a different opinion on humidity and you will decide what works best for you. Alot of people will say that 50% is too high, but that must work for xxkiki.

Do some research. There are alot of good threads in the sticky at the top of Incubating & Hatching Eggs.
    I myself learned alot from the Humidity Issues thread, and found that, in my situation, 30-40% for days 1-18, then 65-70% for lockdown worked well.

Take a look, and Good Luck !!

7. AustinM741

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    Alrighty. Thanks. It's pretty humid here most of the time but it hasn't rained in like a month. I'll do some research. [​IMG]

8. AustinM741

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    I think im gonna keep it around 50% until day 18 then i'll bump it up. [​IMG]

9. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:i tried dry incubation and the chicks didnt like it. it took them 3 days to come out because they were all stuck. did i do something wrong?

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I start off at around 50% humidity. When I set the eggs for hatching I bump it up to around 70%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by