Incubator humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greathorse, Oct 3, 2008.

1. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I have a foam bator and i have about 2-3 tbsp in there and the humidity is at 44%. We have a wood stove and fireplace going so i think that drys out the house alot.
    Should I just leave it at 44% or try to add wet sponges to bring it up?

2. its a matter of personal choice. some folks will tell you that you are good at 44%. I personally choose to keep mine between 50 and 55% until day 18. I find that bantam eggs need a little more humidity than standard sized. But that is purely my observation and opinion.

3. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I have SLW eggs in there. Standard size not bantam. This is my first hatch and i want to have a good sucess rate. Been wanting SLW for a while now :)

4. Keep it at 44%. Don't raise it to 60% until the first pip. I dry incubate all my eggs and I raise mostly bantam cochins. It doesn't matter if it's a standard or a bantam...the proper egg water loss is relative.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

6. I dont agree, but as you can see my points been proven... everyone has their own way of doing things. Its all what works for you.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My incubator humidity usually hovers around 40 -45%, and as you can see by my siggy, I have nothing but bantams. My first 2 hatches had almost 90%, with 40% days 1-18, and about 50% if they went longer than that. I can't get mine to go up higher than that and stay, so that's the reasoning behind mine. Mine do usually hatch a few days early though. There is a great site that shows the size of the air sac at different points. If the air sac is bigger, your humidity is too low, smaller and it's too high.
    http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm#cond

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: