Incubator loaded for First Time

Ok, would you recommend just taking it out now or seeing how it does. I was thinking of trying to candle most of the eggs at day 9 and remove any that don't look fertile to avoid any rotten explosions. I didn't know if with my inexperience I was better to just leave everything alone until day 14 when I stop turning or just the end when everyone should've hatched.
I would see how it does. There's a small chance that it might make it. Don't be surprised if it quits, though.

I think it could hatch, chances are it won’t, but you never know. I read an article about a class chick project, they left on Friday, and on Monday had chicks. But they had at least 2 extra chicks! More than 1 was double yolk and they hatched and thrived, shockingly high odds against it.

So I noticed tonight that there is a bit of a temp spread in my incubator. Not sure if it really matters but from side to side there seems to be a 1 degree difference. Ive tried to not take the lid off and look too much but each time I notice the difference.
Getting excited for my first chicks, if I started them Sunday Aug 30 6:30pm then that would make Sunday September 13 6:30pm lock down? Also do I need to candle before lockdown or is it ok to put everything in. Thank you

So I noticed tonight that there is a bit of a temp spread in my incubator. Not sure if it really matters but from side to side there seems to be a 1 degree difference. Ive tried to not take the lid off and look too much but each time I notice the difference.
Getting excited for my first chicks, if I started them Sunday Aug 30 6:30pm then that would make Sunday September 13 6:30pm lock down? Also do I need to candle before lockdown or is it ok to put everything in. Thank you
I candle day 6 or 7, and at lockdown. As far as the temp, I’m not sure if you should rotate them or just let them be. Maybe someone else can be more help, sorry.

I decided to give incubating and raising chicks a shot. I am on Day 0 and already tired of waiting lol. It's a mix of Celadon and Jumbo eggs. My birds are young, so I'm hoping the eggs are ready. I plan to look for some signs of life as soon as I can. Now I just have to research more to find out when to so that.
You are going to go crazy if you're already tired of waiting 🤣 on day 7 candle your eggs for viability only do 2or3 wait an hr do 2or3more and mark the ones you did so your not waisting your time doing them over and over i write my set date on mine too so I don't forget what day I set them with a wax pencil

I candle day 6 or 7, and at lockdown. As far as the temp, I’m not sure if you should rotate them or just let them be. Maybe someone else can be more help, sorry.

You have been so helpful, thank you for that. I'm using the NR360 so the eggs are rotating through each of the temp areas. I think I'll wait to candle until lockdown at this point. When you candle them all do you take them all out then candle them as you place in the incubator without the egg turner.
I see someone else just responded they do a few at a time.

You have been so helpful, thank you for that. I'm using the NR360 so the eggs are rotating through each of the temp areas. I think I'll wait to candle until lockdown at this point. When you candle them all do you take them all out then candle them as you place in the incubator without the egg turner.
I see someone else just responded they do a few at a time.
I have my husband lift the lid, I remove an egg and candle, he lifts, and I replace the egg and take another, repeat. If you don’t have many, you can just remove the lid, candle them all quickly and put it back. When I had 14 eggs that’s what I did, but the big batches we tag team as described.

Is the temp variation near the vent? I let my thermometer ride the turner a while back and it seemed pretty consistent if the vent was closed, and slight variance if it is open.

Ok, so I just took a few out at a time and about a dozen weren't fertile leaving me with 23. Next time I will use your suggestion and get another set of hands to have less time with the lid off. Have you been using the lid candler or a seperate one?
I was letting the thermometer go around the turner. I also have the vent open halfway, have not tried with the vent closed. I feel like I had read that the vent was supposed to be halfway open then all the way open at lockdown. If you don't mind me asking how are you operating your vent

I incubated a double and they both were alive up until the 16th day.
Fully formed...soooo close but died before internally pipping.

Back
Top Bottom