Incubator off-gassing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peaceful, Mar 28, 2009.

1. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    I have a new Hova-Bator still air styrofoam incubator (with plastic inner water tray and plastic egg turner), and I started eggs in it yesterday. I had it going for a day or two before I put the eggs in. But it smells terrible. How are developing chicks supposed to do well in those fumes?

Has anyone thought about this? Is this a new problem? Will the unit stop smelling and when?[​IMG]

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:I have started up three new Hove-bators last year and never had a smell like you are decribing. Are you sure you don't have a cracked or bad egg in there? Hummm Did it smell before you put the eggs in? Did you sanitize before you started it up? Not sure what to tell ya.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say that you probably have a bad egg and you need to CAREFULLY, away from the Hovabator inspect each egg in an area where it won't do damage if it blows up on you.

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    Thanks for the replies. No, no it is not a bad egg. It definitely smelled before I put the eggs in there.
    Now when I say smelled, perhaps many people would consider it normal because it is coming from the "new" materials. However I lost several years of my life to toxic poisoning from environmental factors (lead, pesticides, maybe mold and mildews) so I am probably more aware of these things now.
    So "terrible" meaning too strong chemical/plastic/foam heated up off-gassing kind of smell, when I sniff in the vents for example, trying to assess the climate in there. Sorry if I was misleading.
    It could be that any new unit has always been this way. Or it could be that there is a new version of the foam or plastic introduced in manufacturing where this aspect of it was not considered. Hopefully it will wear off.
    Has anyone else noticed this? Is it with some types of incubators more than others?
    Someone mentioned sanitizing. Was I supposed to wash the new unit before using it for the first time?

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Sanitizing the unit would probably of been best especially since you smelled the odor. I would think since it is unpacked it probably want last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by