Incubator or Broody Hen -- which should I use???

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
I have a broody hen, she has been broody for months. I have got some call duck eggs, and wonder if I should go with my broody or my incubator. Which would you recommend. I'ver heard call ducks are very hard to hatch. Really torn on what would be best. I would like opinions. THanks a ton.

Definitely go with the broody! I bought mine 8 silkie eggs because she's been so determined to hatch something (14 days to go!). I've heard the same thing about call ducks being difficult to hatch, so why not maximize their chances by opting for the natural route?

I've done both.
Pros of a broody-no electric bill.
Pros of an incubator-for control freaks like me, I can CONSTANLY monitor things.
big_smile.png

Call duck eggs are pretty darn hard to hatch-myself, I think I would put them in the incubator.
Good luck whatever you decide(Call Ducks are WONDERFUL
love.gif
).

let the hen sit and use the incubator as back up just in case..
hmm.png

Ps my Broddie's have hatch many duck eggs and i have just set some goose eggs under one to see if they are fertile.

Last edited:
Use the broody, but if she's been broody for months I'd keep the bator ready to go in case she gives up on the eggs. I'd also give her a scrambled egg every day or every other day to help her keep her strength up. They can really lose condition when they stay broody like that and it's often hard to tell how much weight they've lost since they've got that whole puffy feather broody thing going on.

Another plus <insert evil laugh here> is that it's hysterical when the ducklings discover water--My Black Australorp lost her mind when "her" Ruen ducklings discovered the creek that runs thru the barnyard. She was sure that they were in mortal danger, but no matter how much she squawked at them they wouldn't leave the water.

Quote:
Good advice about the scrambled eggs. Ya, I know, she was getting pretty rough but we put her dish with a little calf manna, beside her in the nesting box. No matter what, even if we take the eggs, she always goes and sits. They are faithful little mommies aren't they?!

I have another question. What is the maximum number of eggs one hen can sit? Do you take the broody out or keep her in the main coop with the other chickens? My main question is how many can she sit at one time?

She should be able to cover 6-8 duck eggs, or about a dozen chicken eggs, if she's a standard breed, & not a Bantam.

I hatch mine in with all the other chickens & turkeys. Sometimes someone else will babysit for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might read this thread about isolating a broody. People successfully do it both ways and there are risks both ways. It is a personal decision. This thread does discuss what you need to do and what some of the problems might be.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

I don't have a secific number. If she can comfortably cover all of them, she should be OK.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom