Incubator or Natural?????

lucky10

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
So I was wondering if natural hatching or incubating is better for the chicks/chickens. Also which will you have the most success with?
Thank-You

go with the natural broody hen incubators can hatch more at once though.....
hu.gif
hide.gif
idunno.gif

Natural hen brooding should be the most successful. After all, God didn't design eggs to hatch in a foam box!

We have sometimes had ours get cold in the nestboxes b/c of broody hens that moved around. The problem should be solved if you isolate the hen in a box by herself that she cannot get out of.

i agree my silkie just hatched a bunch of chicks they are so cute !!!!!
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
smile.png
big_smile.png
tongue.png
lol.png
to many smilies!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I don't have an incubator, we would just buy day olds until I had a hen go broody and she hatched out 2 babies. THAT is where it gets easy. She took excellent care of them and they already sleep and hang out with the others at 2 weeks old. No integration issues - none. Mom took care of it all.

I use hens since I dont have an incubator. All of my hatches from my broodies have been a 100% hatch.
I think incubators may come in handy when you have no broody hens around.
And watching a mother hen and her babies is just one of the cutest things!
smile.png

I think having a hen do all the work is not only helpful, but so much fun to watch the little family grow. The only downsides I have found are: hens can only cover so many eggs & it's whenever she decides you need an increase in your chicken population.
When I move to my grandfather's property later on, I'm going to use my hens to set eggs as well as incubator. Then when the incubator chicks hatch, slip them under mama and let her raise double the amount I would usually get from one hen.

Do you need to worry about positioning the eggs or will mama know which way they go?

Also, my broody's eggs aren't hatching. One was broken and one failed the float test so I've seen inside two are there was develpoment. Any ideas about my issues? Are they just slower with natural incubation?

Last edited:
Mama seems to take care of that. Broodies also rotate the eggs under them for even heating. It's really cool to watch.

My first broody was not successful since my rooster turned out to be a dud. I gave her day-old chicks at 10pm one night and by morning they were a big happy family. I'd not been looking forward to raising chicks myself until they were big enough to introduce. This was so much easier!

Back
Top Bottom