incubator placement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carole AM, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I have tried different rooms in my house. Is it best to use the warmer room (bedroom) or the other cooler room (computer room) ? What works better for you? There may be 10 degrees difference in the rooms.

As long as temps in the bater are good, does it make a difference?

2. Hi Carole,
    I'd probably opt for the warmer room --- if only because that's 10* less of a cool down when you have to open the bator.
    That's just my logic... lol, not saying much [​IMG]

Lisa

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Carole, I can't keep mine in my bedroom because of the noise it makes. Maybe you're talking about a spare bedroom? That has worked in the past for me. I have more problems with variation in temperature. We keep the house much cooler at night than during the day which reeks havoc with the bators. I have found that putting a blanket in a cardboard box then bator covered with another blanket has helped to stabilize mine. hth.

4. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    Becky the blanket sounds like a good idea. This is my first hatching and I am worried I a not going to have any hatch because we keep our house alot cooler at night also. Not to mention the fact it is a draft old house....I am going to be adding shelving in the hall closet and we are making a few special shelves just for this hatching thing....this sure is a learning experience

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Oh that sounds perfect! I wish I had a hall closet. lol. Have fun!

6. snoblossom

snoblossom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Eagle River
    I keep mine on my kitchen counter, because the counter is solid and doesn't move in any way. It is warmer than most rooms in my house as well. We like having it close when the chicks start hatching because we spend a lot of time watching:D

7. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    Quote:I had mine on the buffett in the dining room for that exact same reason.

I have since moved them to the basement so I wouldn't be tempted to open the bator during hatch times.

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    we put ours in a gutted bathroom. i closed the a/c vent and opened the window. It's away from toddlers and has worked so far~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by