incubator problem. please help! :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluefeather2697, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    hi guys. i made a homemade cylindrical styro incubator, still air with 14-watt CFL light bulb near the bottom. its about 1 foot in height and .75 foot in diameter. the egg rack is at the middle. it has a a hole on top and on the sides (the same level as the bulb).

i dont have any problem with the humidity as it stays constant at 50% but the temperature varies. in the morning the thermo reads 94F, in the after noon 116F and in the evening 90F.

what can i do to make it constant at 100? its very hard to manipulate the holes and i dont have the time to do that every single time. please help. i really really really really want to hatch my leghorn eggs . :hit :hit :hit

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I really don't know what you can do to help the temp. but I will give you bump and
    hopefully someone with more experience with homemade incubators will jump on here!

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    My first time building an incubator I looked online for instructions. I bought a hot water heater thermostat and found a wiring diagram online wired it up along witha computer fan and used a 40watt bulb. I put it together to test it and with the thermostat it shut off at 100 degrees and turned back on at 99 degrees. The thermostat is really the trick for accurate temps and keeps it from becoming a fire hazard. I just got a dozen green americuna eggs today and am excited to hatch them in my diy incubator!!!

4. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    could you post the link!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by