Incubator project

Benen

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2016
Hi all!
I thought I'd share my incubator project with you. I have made on previously in a cupboard and learned a lot to help me design the new one.
It contains 3 computer fans for circulation, insulated walls with all wires hidden, double glazed perspex viewing window, temperature control and automatic egg turning.
It is my first woodwork project so I have taken my time and only made one minor mistake so far!

This is the tray that fits 36 eggs

This is how I constructed each wall. 6mm marine ply separated by 12mm spacer border to leave room for insulation and wiring.

Clamping some of the sides together and 2 fans installed.

Fan blowing through heater.

Drawer slide on egg turning tray

False floor with grooves to allow air flow below eggs

Side door to allow removal of internal parts.

12mm polystyrene in each side

Holes and spacer for the lid

Lid almost complete!

A quick test of the electronics and function of the parts. Not as complex as it might look to some at a first glance.

Temperature controller, egg turner timer and light switch mounted onto control panel.

Motor assembly for egg turner.

Not a lot left to do. I need to mount the motor to the turner tray, I need to finish the control panel box and connect it to the side of the incubator and I need to do a small amount of work on the false floor to get it to the correct height inside.

I hope you enjoyed looking!

Ah great! Thanks very much!I've spent a little more time on it today. I will get some more photos up of the progress.
I will definitely look at the contest!

Here is the motor mount assembled. I'm about to mount it to the incubator and feed the wires into the control panel box.

Here are all of the wires for the components. I will label them before closing it all up.
I have also drilled 12 ventilation holes in the side. I'm unsure how much ventilation is needed so I will create a sliding cover that can cover or reveal vent holes as needed.

Last edited:
Getting closer finishing! I have been working on this in the evenings after work for a couple of weeks now.
Here is the control panel dummy test.

I managed to get a little more done this afternoon.
Below are the parts for my little sliding door to cover the air vents on the side.

Motor is mounted inside and a test run worked out perfectly. The tray slides and stops around 1cm from each end

A view through the windows.

Last edited:
A few more odds and ends to tie up now.

Here is the sliding door for the vents.

And here is the false bottom. I have started gluing on the base to lift it up to the egg turner to allow the air to flow below and also the allow room for a water tray below

In hindsight I would have made the incubator around 20mm taller to accommodate a taller water tray. I only have 32mm of room below and fear that I will be filling up the water tray very often. Time will tell I suppose.

All of the electronics are now connected and in the control panel box. All that's left to do is add one more support to the false bottom and mount the temperature sensor probe inside before getting it running! I hope...

I switched on the incubator this morning and it got to temp in a few minutes. The false bottom is a little snug and will receive some sanding tonight. If it's still running smoothly when I get home I will get my 2 dozen eggs in it and start incubating!
My only concern now is the temp probe accuracy. I made ice cubes last night so will do an ice slurry test to make sure it's accurate before putting the eggs in.

Back
Top Bottom