Incubator purchase dilemma

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Opa, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have the opportunity to purchase either a rcom 20, a GQF Sportsman, or a Roll-X incubator. They all sound good. Any opinions as which to buy?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Wow Opa, going big time!! Don't know much about the incubators, I just have a couple little ones, but good luck with them!!

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i love my sportsman,, but would rather have the older model,, they have better rack system,,,, but other then that i LOVE it [​IMG]

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I'd say it might depend on how many eggs you want to hatch. The Rcom 20 holds 20 chicken eggs. The Roll-X holds 89 according to their literature, and the Sportsman will hold up to 270. Also consider the overall size of the unit and where you plan to put it.
    I use 3 Sportsman 1202s and a 1250 hatcher and I love them. These are the older units that use the wafer thermostats and I am very happy with their performance.
    db

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the new sportsman holds 288 chicken eggs,, regular size eggs,, i kept going by the lit. numbers,, and it kept messing me up,, till i figured out the racks hold 48 eggs each, and theres 6 of em [​IMG] ,, im such a wiz at #'s [​IMG]
    but the new ones dont have the "walls" on the back and front of the turning racks,, so i need to buy the "hatching trays" so i can hatch all the same time [​IMG]

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    go for the sportsman. We have two now. Some people don't like them because of the size but that was why we bought ours. The first one totaly paid for itself in less than 6 months thru chick sales.

Steve in NC

7. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'd go for the sportsman! [​IMG]

8. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I have an rcom 20 and I really want a sportsman! I wish I had gotten it first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by