Incubator SMELLS!

johnnalei

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Colorado
There is a very terrifying smell in my incubator. The eggs have been in for 4 days. I candled and found one for sure rotten (dark when candled) and extra stinky. The rest are all clear and I can't tell if any really smell still because everything just stinks. Is it possible that I missed a spot when cleaning from my last hatch and something is growing? Or is this just all rotten egg? How long before I need to worry about a rotten egg exploding? I'd like to wait another day for any left over stench to disipate, so I can determine what if any eggs are rotten. Thanks for the advice!

Can you not carefully pick each egg up and smell it? Usually if there is a bad one it is pretty obvious which egg it is when you smell them.

Of course, I guess you then take a chance of it exploding in your face...at least this is what I worry about...but I usually check anyway.

And then when I figure out which one it is I put it in a ziplock bag and throw it away.

I have found that when I take the offending egg away that the smell goes away also, so if your incubator is still smelling, I would suspect that there is another bad egg in there.

I wish you luck in finding it, if so.

Catherine

Um, I notice you have a picture of a dog under your user name.

One of my dogs, Huckleberry, will indicate to me which egg is bad. You might give your dog a chance to do this.

Huckleberry, my Egg Sniffing Dog, will point at the incubator that has a bad egg, and then, if I open it up, he will indicate which egg.

I am so proud of him. He did not have to be taught to do it, he just recognized that it was an inappropriate smell and showed me.

Anyway, you might ask your dog. Just a thought.

Catherine

My dogs are not that helpful. I'm sure if I tried to get one of them to smell an egg, they'd just lick it, at best. I'll brave the smell test again tonight. I just had no idea one little egg could make that much of a smell...and it lingers! But at the very least it sounds like it's not the incubator itself.

Back
Top Bottom