Incubator suggestions??

Yessur Ebob

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm wanting to purchase an incubator, but would like some recommendations first. Is forced air or still air better? What brand is best?
I need one that will do between 25 and 50 eggs (with a turner) and cost less than $200. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. I've never had an incubator before so I'm pretty clueless.

I have had VERY successful hatches on shipped eggs and store bought eggs with my genesis hovabator 1588 with automatic egg turner.

We are talking 30 out of 31 from shipped eggs and 32 out of 38 from Trader Joes eggs.

All I did was follow the directions that came with it.

Cheapest place to buy is from cutler supply online.

I got a little Hovabator WITH the turner for I think $89 off of eBay. With the turner in, it holds 42 eggs (they say 41, but there's 6 racks of 7 spots so whatever) and it's a still air. Some people say forced air is better for temps, but so far, mine has held perfect temp this entire hatch and snaps right back to perfect after I open the lid. It took a little experimentation to get the humidity to stay, but once I figured it out, it's held that like a charm too.

You DO have to find a place for the little styrofoam ones that doesn't get touched by sunlight or drafts at all for it to hold, though. So if you just want one you can stick where-ever and have it go, you should probably look at a different kind, even if it costs a bit more.

Here's the link to the store I got mine from: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230426927643

And
it's got a chart, as well, if you want extra gadgets and whatnot to go with it, beyond the turner and thermometer/hygrometer, including the stuff you need for brooding if you don't have that set up yet.

Quote:
You WILL want the big window... Promise
smile.png
During the hatch you will be kicking yourself for not having a larger window.

Also, what I believe has helped me have successful hatches is the electronic thermostat in the 1588. I wouldn't mess around with one I had to adjust.

I don't think the 2362 is equally as good if it doesn't have the electronic thermostat. That is one HUGE difference.

Just saying...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom