INCUBATOR TEMP ALWAYS FLUCTUATES

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
Hello all....i have 2 incubators setup.

One is a styrofoam little giant forced air with thermometer and hygrometor...its brand new. Turkey eggs r inside this one. The instructions tell me to set at 99f for turkey. But everywhere i look it says to set at 100.5 for forced air....sooooo which is it? It fluctuates temperature quickly between 97.9 and 100.5 it flitters up and down....it never stays at one solid number for long. Humidity 55% until day 25 then 75%

Next one is a top hatch by Brower. 2008 model with bulb as heat. Has chicken eggs in it. Instructions there tell me to set at 99.5 for chicken eggs? The temp here fluctuates 97.9 to 100.5f.....is that ok? I absolutely cannot keep it stead. Humidity 50% until day 18 then 70%

I am feeling like its too much fluctuation and nothing will hatch :( which would be very upsetting.

I would assume temp fluctuations would be ok since...a hen would leave the nest for a moment to eat...or outside temps drop....or the hen gets extra sweaty sometimes....so i imagine fluctuations happen often in nature.

Any info appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190409_201151.jpg
    20190409_201151.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190409_201202.jpg
    20190409_201202.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 7
Some will hatch, but that incubator is known for problems. The temperature will vary all over the incubator too. I had 2, I threw one in the trash after only having it for 3 years. The other one I am using as a brooder and have to constantly babysit it. Get a separate thermometer and hope for the best, I just bought 2 different incubators...

Some will hatch, but that incubator is known for problems. The temperature will vary all over the incubator too. I had 2, I threw one in the trash after only having it for 3 years. The other one I am using as a brooder and have to constantly babysit it. Get a separate thermometer and hope for the best, I just bought 2 different incubators...
When you say "that" incubator...which one are you referring to? The brower or little giant?

I have a hygrometor and 2 different thermometers in the Brower...one is a digital amphibian thermometer the other is an amphibian thermometer not digital.

Last edited:
Where are these located? I've found that impacts temp fluctuations greatly.
They r in my kitchen center floor of the house. We live in Quesnel BC

what i need to know is....does a temperature EVER STAY STEADY on ANY INCUBATOR?? Is that even possible? Are quick fluttering fluctuations ok?? Or is it screwing up my hatches?? I woukd assume a hen does not always keep her eggs at EXACTLY 99 Fahrenheit.

I would think PROLONGED temp changes for example one moment its 99.5f then hen leaves and does not go back on the nestfor 6 hours eggs go down to 25f....that would be bad. But if she hops off to poop eat drink water then goes back that may be ok?

They r in my kitchen center floor of the house. We live in Quesnel BC

what i need to know is....does a temperature EVER STAY STEADY on ANY INCUBATOR?? Is that even possible? Are quick fluttering fluctuations ok?? Or is it screwing up my hatches?? I woukd assume a hen does not always keep her eggs at EXACTLY 99 Fahrenheit.

I would think PROLONGED temp changes for example one moment its 99.5f then hen leaves and does not go back on the nestfor 6 hours eggs go down to 25f....that would be bad. But if she hops off to poop eat drink water then goes back that may be ok?

I see what you're saying. Inconsistent temperature makes for an inconsistent hatch. Both in length of time it takes and hatch rate. But, yes, you'll get something. 97.5-100.5 is good range.

The reason I asked about an additional thermometer is because that's how you'll know what the temperature actually it. A digital can dance around a bit but unless you've verified it you don't really know what's going on. I wouldn't be worried with your temp range until you've verified. Keep in mind the eggs take some time to reach temperature and change temperature. Like you mentioned the broody hen example.

Back
Top Bottom