Incubator temp went crazy!!! Update: A chick has hatched!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Lisser, Sep 17, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Earlier this week, we welcomed 5 bouncing baby chicks to our home - hatched from our homemade bator and hatcher. I set up the brooder in the same room (most cat-proof room in the house) - so I had the 250 watt brooder light, my computer, the bator, hatcher, and a warm mist humidifier going in that room. I did not realize that the added heat in the room was making my bator temp go WAY up - earlier today it was 102 - I was freaked but thought maybe my thermometer went bad . . . then went to pick up my daughter from school and when I got home (about 30 min later) it was 104!!! [​IMG]

Holy cow!!! I put 3 thermometers in there and it was definitely off. The bator lights were not coming on. I turned it off immediately, and it finally got through my thick skull that the temp problems only started when I set up the brooder in the same room - (and sealed off the A/C vents). DUH

So these eggs have been an average of 2 degrees too high for at least two days, maybe a bit more. They are on day 17! Is there any chance these babies will survive the heat blast??? I set up my hatcher in ANOTHER room, and went ahead and moved the eggs to it - temp is running a perfect 99.5.

I could just kick myself for not figuring this out sooner!!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice.

Melissa

edited to change/update subject

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I'm no expert but I think you'll be ok. They may hatch early. I've caught mine at 102 but not sure how long it was like that and my eggs are still going. A good way to tell is do you have a way to candle them. If so you could tell of the babies are still moving in the eggs.

3. NightCode

NightCode Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Heat fluctuates in my homemade incubator. I caught it at 103.8 and 98.4... It’s hard to tell if it will affect my hatch or not but I will keep you informed. I candled yesterday and they were fine. Today is lockdown and I’m keeping an extra eye on it just in case anymore fluctuations.

4. keaton85

keaton85 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Mines been all over the place, mostly trying to keep it at 101 but I get up to 103-104 on one temp and the others will be like 101 or 100.

I have the cheapo walmart/lowes/HD two temp + humidity sensor and a digitial two temp oven temp gauge. between all for gauges I try and keep it at the 101 setting.

11 says in and I have had about 3-4 infertile and most are moving around as far as I can tell. I think it's better to have it higher then lower from what ive read but don't go by what I say since this is my first batch ever in a home made unit.

How the heck are you guys keeping the humidity up under lockdown? I have so much water surface area but still only 50% humidity! idono what im going to do to get it up at a stable 70%.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    If they look alive when you candle them- then keep going! They may hatch a few days early, and may have trouble hatching, but you don't have anything to lose by letting them continue....

6. The Lisser

After I calmed down some, I took some of the eggs out and candled them . . . some were too dark to see anything but I'm pretty sure I saw movement in one!!!!

These are d'uccle eggs, which I've heard may hatch a bit early - went ahead and bumped up the humidity and won't candle again.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Melissa

7. The Lisser

Okay, I'm on day 21 now and so far . . . nothing! [​IMG]

I'm trying not to hover over the hatcher every 30 seconds but it's HARD!!!

Hopefully I'll get at least a couple chicks [​IMG]

8. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I know its hard, but keep the incubator on lockdown. People on this site ( not me , lol) know a heck of a lot about incubating. Temperature fluctuations are normal. I have screwed up a time or two, I think everyone has. The first batch of eggs i hatched at home were quail. I saw a pip, and decided to help. I peeled out the chick who was covered in blood. The reason was because there is vasculiture in the egg to keep blood flowing to the chick. The poor chick did survive despite my efforts to the contrary. The trick is to see it through. Hang tough this morning.

9. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Don't worry mine didn't do anything til like 12-2 pm on the 21st day, and today is day 22 I have one chick and 2 pips out of 5 eggs. DH said this morning one of the 5 that hadn't pipped yet was rocking before he left for work. So just have patience, I think as long as it wasn't 105 degrees you'll be ok.

10. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I think it is worth waiting around! Once I was away from home and my incubator was accidentally unplugged. Then it was turned back on and at around 104 when I got home. I'm not sure how long the eggs were too cold or too hot but it was long enough that I should have given up. I was pretty sure that nothing would come of the hatch but I couldn't bring myself to throw the eggs out. Out of the 12, 1 hatched into a healthy and happy chick. I was sooo happy that I hadn't given up on her! I wish you luck! And chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by