incubator temps

Kristina

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
South Louisiana
ok I have a question before I get a bunch of fried eggs...I was given two hova bator incubators one is the preset thermostat and forced air and the temp right now is 100.5 according too both my thermometers. It seems to have risen from it;s preset temp by .5 which I assume is brcause of the chick development. I'm wondering if this is ok because I think I will cry if at least some of my eggs don't hatch. I was also given a hova bator still air incubator with the wafer thing that you have to adjust to use as a hatcher....well the temp on the thermometer that came with it is 99.5 and on the one I bought it is showing only about 98. Which do I follow or should I get another thermometer? What is the temp in a still air incubator supposed to be? I followed the directions but I'd rather have someone with some experience tell me Thanks for any help!

I supply some of the local schools, girls scout and bot scout groups with eggs to hatch. After callling three of those using an incubator, I have three answers for. For dry air 99 to 100.5 degrees, for those using forced air 102 degrees. They tell me the main trick is to have the temperture stable for at least 1 day perferably 2. Myself when I have to use an incubator, I use a LG dry with a turner at 99.5 dergrees. The hatch rate is fair, only because the hen stopped brooding. Don't feel bad if you don't hatch out all the eggs. Very seldom will will anyone get a 100% hatch, to many variables. 80% average is good from what I am told. I prefer a broody hen. Good luck with your hatch.

Thanks for a quick reply! I'm not expecting every egg to hatch buecasue let's face it I'm not an expert here LOL! I just want to have a couple successful babies:) But that's great to know because I have a few more days that I can tweak the temp in the still air before it's time to move the eggs. UGH...this wait is so frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom