Incubator turned off for 9 hours, day 8-9 HELP!

Drewnkat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Georgia
Give it to me straight, how bad is it?

Someone... decided to turn off the electricity to the incubator last night. I got up this morning and the was 74 degrees 80 percent humidity in there.

I'm so upset. I had 37 developing healthy eggs in there! I know they can survive short periods, but this is a bit much.

I know there's probably nothing I can do at this point except turn the incubator back on, and hope for the best.

Has anyone had any luck with the incubator being off that long at this vulnerable stage?

Give it to me straight, how bad is it?

Someone... decided to turn off the electricity to the incubator last night. I got up this morning and the was 74 degrees 80 percent humidity in there.

I'm so upset. I had 37 developing healthy eggs in there! I know they can survive short periods, but this is a bit much.

I know there's probably nothing I can do at this point except turn the incubator back on, and hope for the best.

Has anyone had any luck with the incubator being off that long at this vulnerable stage?
I've seen hatchers go longer than that w/o electricity and still have good-decent hatches. What day are you on???
Day 8-9 I see it now. Too early for me to be thinking on a Saturday...lol

Last edited:
Candle them in a couple of days and see if any appear alive. Try to look at a possible bright side, if any do survive chances are good the majority could be pullets.

I would be taping switches (and issuing threats of violence) to prevent someone from doing that again.

Last edited:
Trying to think positive. I had put aquarium glass "pebbles" in the bottom to help even out the heat distribution, and those would have helped keep the heat up for a short time after the power was turned off.

It would take a while for the eggs themselves to cool internally, so they wouldn't have been 73 degrees internally the whole time.

Some people have had survivors after power outages. But let's be realistic, some haven't.

It's back on now, and I guess I'll candle on day ten as planned and look for movement. Thankfully I know I can see the brown eggs at least. If there's a decent percentage of browns and blues still going, I'll leave the greens. But if all the browns and blues are done for, I'll just scrap the whole batch and start over.

Two weeks worth of work, just gone.

Trying to think positive. I had put aquarium glass "pebbles" in the bottom to help even out the heat distribution, and those would have helped keep the heat up for a short time after the power was turned off.

It would take a while for the eggs themselves to cool internally, so they wouldn't have been 73 degrees internally the whole time.

Some people have had survivors after power outages. But let's be realistic, some haven't.

It's back on now, and I guess I'll candle on day ten as planned and look for movement. Thankfully I know I can see the brown eggs at least. If there's a decent percentage of browns and blues still going, I'll leave the greens. But if all the browns and blues are done for, I'll just scrap the whole batch and start over.

I have faith. You'll see some action.
fl.gif

If you are unsure when you candle you might think about marking the air cell line, that would let you candle again closer to hatch and see if the cell has enlarged.

Oh I already marked the air cells on day 7 when I candled. I plan to mark day 14 as well, if any make it. That helps me know how things are going humidity-wise. Just hoping I see movement tomorrow. Would be the best possible mother's day present.

The person who accidentally the power is very very sorry, and has helped me re-arrange the power situation so this is not likely to happen again.

Well, the suspense was just too much to bear. The eggs have been at 99.5 to 100 for the rest of the day since the incubator regained temp after I found the problem this morning.

I got over the shaking and crying stage, the feel-like-I-could-puke stage, and got to the I-hate-waiting stage.

Decided it couldn't possibly hurt anything to candle one or two eggs. I couldn't bear to risk candling all of them, but it only takes seconds to do one.

I chose a nice pale brown one first, and I actually said "Come on, move you little sucker."

I saw little chickie in there waving at me! I also checked a blue, and yep! Little one going strong in there too.

Words are inadequate to express the immense relief and gratitude I feel.
wee.gif
love.gif
woot.gif

Thank you to all who offered their help and encouragement, you guys are the best.

Well, the suspense was just too much to bear. The eggs have been at 99.5 to 100 for the rest of the day since the incubator regained temp after I found the problem this morning.

I got over the shaking and crying stage, the feel-like-I-could-puke stage, and got to the I-hate-waiting stage.

Decided it couldn't possibly hurt anything to candle one or two eggs. I couldn't bear to risk candling all of them, but it only takes seconds to do one.

I chose a nice pale brown one first, and I actually said "Come on, move you little sucker."

I saw little chickie in there waving at me! I also checked a blue, and yep! Little one going strong in there too.

Words are inadequate to express the immense relief and gratitude I feel.
wee.gif
love.gif
woot.gif

Thank you to all who offered their help and encouragement, you guys are the best.
Yay!! I wouldn't have waited that long...lol I spot check every night when I am incubating at least 3-4. I have to have a candling fix and check my air cells...lol I figured you'd still have wigglers in there!!!

Back
Top Bottom