incubator ventilation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joyous, Aug 15, 2010.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I would like to know how much ventilation does a home made cooler inci that is approximately 15 x 28 x 16. I have two holes on either side that are 1 1/4 inches that I can open or shut. There are 4 tiny holes in the top, all under 1/8 inch. When I am going into lock down, I will take out the pole for turning them and that leaves two more 1 inch holes. My question is: for the first 18 days, should I have one or two 1 1/4 inch holes open. The first time I used it I opened both the whole time with a 75 % hatch rate. I am expecting some treasured Buckeye eggs and just want to know the skinny on ventilation!

2. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Having ventilation holes open or closed will depend on your humidity levels. If you can maintain 45% humidity or slightly higher during incubation with 2 wide open, then you're probably good to go. During lockdown you'll need to boost it to around 70-75%. You'll still need ventilation, so you need to experiment. I solve some ventilation issues on a wooden incubator by drilling a 3/8" hole through the box and locating my circulation fan over it. That way I'm always drawing in fresh air and can control using covers on the exhaust.

3. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! I am at about 50-55 % with both holes open, and I have more pans I can add water to at lock down!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by