Incubator went dry... will the eggs hatch?

MamaFox78

Songster
Aug 9, 2022
Colorado Rocky Mountains
So this is my first time hatching chicken eggs... and I didn't know the importance of humidity, especially right before hatching. Due to a crazy weekend, neither me or the kids remembered to put water in the incubators and they went dry for day 21-22! 😱 Awful newbie mistake, I feel so terrible!!

8 chicks hatched and are doing fine, but I'm afraid we've lost the other 10, as we're on day 24 and they haven't hatched. One pipped yesterday, but the membrane looked really dry, so after 24 hours with no progress, I tried to moisten the membrane with warm water and gently help her out, as she seemed really weak. Sadly, she didn't make it. 😭

If the membrane goes dry, will it rehydrate with more humidity, or is that all she wrote for those eggs?? Should I wait a couple more days? Just wondering what I should do from here... aside from never letting the incubator go dry or messing with unhatched eggs!! 🤦‍♀️😥

I'd candle the eggs and see if you can spot movement. If you see movement, leave them in for a few more days. If not, you can do an eggtopsy and carefully cut into the large side the egg.

The added water may have waterlogged the chick. Dy membranes can be rehydrated with coconut oil.

I'm afraid we've lost the other 10, as we're on day 24 and they haven't hatched. One pipped yesterday

Should I wait a couple more days? Just wondering what I should do from here

You could give them a few more days, or you could try candling and see if there is any sign of movement. Movement means a live chick, no movement could mean a dead chick or a sleeping chick.

24 days is definitely late for chicken eggs, but you did have one pip on day 23, so there is a chance of some others pipping/hatching late as well.

You could give them a few more days, or you could try candling and see if there is any sign of movement. Movement means a live chick, no movement could mean a dead chick or a sleeping chick.

24 days is definitely late for chicken eggs, but you did have one pip on day 23, so there is a chance of some others pipping/hatching late as well.
Thanks! I'll try candling them and see if I spot movement. If not, I'll try again later to see if they might've been sleeping. Hopefully they're just late bloomers!

I'd candle the eggs and see if you can spot movement. If you see movement, leave them in for a few more days. If not, you can do an eggtopsy and carefully cut into the large side the egg.

The added water may have waterlogged the chick. Dy membranes can be rehydrated with coconut oil.
Thanks, I'll try that! How do you use the coconut oil to hydrate the membrane? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom