incubator

Quote:
I bought a Little Giant still air for about $50 then a egg turner to go in it for about $40. The incubator itself is decent but hard to keep acclimated properly. So I am currently working on building one of these.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510 And since I had the cooler, the hardware cloth, the light bulb, and the plexiglass already laying around. I will have roughly $20 in the new one..

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I bought a Little Giant still air for about $50 then a egg turner to go in it for about $40. The incubator itself is decent but hard to keep acclimated properly. So I am currently working on building one of these.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510 And since I had the cooler, the hardware cloth, the light bulb, and the plexiglass already laying around. I will have roughly $20 in the new one..

I also have the LG still-air, but added a CPU fan for my current hatch. It is holding temps and humidity MUCH better with the fan, which was free (from an old computer we had here). We used an old cell phone charger to power the fan, and that was also free. Even if the setup hadn't been free, it would have been well worth it. My eggs are currently on day 11 and are developing much better than any of my previous hatches at this stage.​

I am also in the process of making an ice chest type incubator. I was lucky and found an old ice maker though and removed the top half. basically this gives me a super fancy looking ice chest with no top. I made a top with 1/4 inch plexiglass so I have a full view window from the top. I put a 40 watt lamp and a water heater stat in it a couple of days ago and think i am bout a hair away from going mad. No matter what I do the bator is non stop wavering between between 98 and 102 degrees. I have adjust the thermostat back and forth through one quarter of it's range and the temp never changes. I may have simply damaged it and set it on this setting permanently when I was trying to drill the holes in the front of it. Going to get another stat now. Otherwise from what i can tell the Suro is the best bator. and not really that much more expensive than the ones everyone seems to fight with. I have about $50 in my home made one so far If I get it done right It will be a really good incubator without all htat much expense. Of course it might just be a expensive pile of trash also.

Is one with a fan or still air better,and should i buy a auto or semi auto.And do they come with egg turners or do you have to buy them?

forced air - better than still air
Mine is all automatic. i don't want to have to worry daily about humidity and temp.
turners are separate but well worth the $45 or so additional dollars. You will save in better hatches.

Back
Top Bottom