Incubators Anonymous

Last few eggs remain in the incubator - one is zipping now. The others may not hatch, but it doesn't hurt to keep the incubator plugged in for another day or 2.

I started moving some chicks in with their mamas today. (2 whites & a black went in last night and were already bonded by this morning. I didn't get their pics)

Here are 3 seramas (1 white, 1 golden chipmunk, & 1 light chipmunk)
img_0457-2-jpg.1905223

5 silver laced (the 2 white recessive were also from my SLO group)
img_0459-2-jpg.1905224

3 black/lav split orps (one blk was already with mama)
img_9663-2-jpg.1905225

One blue orp
img_9666-2-jpg.1905226

and
3 lav orps
img_9669-2-jpg.1905228

I ended up getting one more chick. My last hatch is now done and the incubator got unplugged. Time for me to clean it and put it in the attic. (so I will not be tempted to do another "last hatch")

Final results:
5 silver laced orpingtons
3 black/lav split orpingtons
3 lavender orpingtons
2 blue orpingtons
2 recessive white orpingtons
and
3 seramas

:love
The chicks were divided into 3 groups and adopted by 3 broody hens.

Not sure I'm going to make it until spring without setting up the incubator. I have 2 dozen Crele Orpington eggs coming from Carolina Rare Chicks. I also have a blue and blue splash hen and a lavender hen in with a Chocolate Mottled Rooster and I caught him doing his job the other day so now I really want to put some of my girls eggs in the incubator. Unfortunately my Chocolate Mottled hen is inside with a leg injury so I wouldn't get any Chocolate babies but the blues would make pretty mauves and the lavender would make lavender splits. It's very tempting.

What is everyone planning on hatching?

Does anyone have anything in the incubator now?

Wishing I lived someplace warmer so I could hatch year round. :oops:

Not sure I'm going to make it until spring without setting up the incubator. I have 2 dozen Crele Orpington eggs coming from Carolina Rare Chicks. I also have a blue and blue splash hen and a lavender hen in with a Chocolate Mottled Rooster and I caught him doing his job the other day so now I really want to put some of my girls eggs in the incubator. Unfortunately my Chocolate Mottled hen is inside with a leg injury so I wouldn't get any Chocolate babies but the blues would make pretty mauves and the lavender would make lavender splits. It's very tempting.

I just put in 2 dozen of the darkest marans eggs I’ve ever had my hands on! :)))))))))))))

I just put in 2 dozen of the darkest marans eggs I’ve ever had my hands on! :)))))))))))))

Oooh I love those deep chocolate colored eggs. If only I had room for more breeds lol. My Chocolate Mottled hen is in the house in a crate due to injury so I only have two blues and a lavender hen out with my mottled boy. Not ideal but I do have 2 dozen creles from Carolina Rare Chicks coming in April when they start laying. Fingers crossed. I might put in a few of my own eggs they are fertile. He's been doing his job.
DSC_0221.JPG

Last edited:
Oooh I love those deep chocolate colored eggs. If only I had room for more breeds lol. My Chocolate Mottled hen is in the house in a crate due to injury so I only have two blues and a lavender hen out with my mottled boy. Not ideal but I do have 2 dozen creles from Carolina Rare Chicks coming in April when they start laying. Fingers crossed. I might put in a few of my own eggs they are fertile. He's been doing his job. View attachment 1989876 View attachment 1989876 View attachment 1989876
I hatched a few laced orpingtons this summer and they’re so amazing. I want mauve so bad!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see what you get!!!

I hatched a few laced orpingtons this summer and they’re so amazing. I want mauve so bad!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see what you get!!!

Waiting for the eggs to get large enough so they aren't pullet eggs anymore for my younger girls and then we will try. I figure maybe the end of this month or middle of Feb. It's probably the longest I'll be able to wait to get started. Our first chicken swap up here is middle of April so definitely want to have babies hatched out before that.

I, too, am becoming a hatching addict. I know you can buy TSC chicks for about $1 ea. in the spring(which is a lot cheaper than hatching drama. I live in a suburb and wil probably have to sell extra chicks at farm auctions. Right now I have about 10 "barnyard" eggs 2 days from hatch date and am awaiting 5 dozen courtinix eggs to hatch in a local High School. I'm using my unused dog kennel for a coop. Someone just gave me this former school incubator with built in turner and wafer controls. What do I do with this? It will hold over a 100 chicken eggs, easily.

Attachments

• IMG_6866[1].JPG
    IMG_6866[1].JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 8
I, too, am becoming a hatching addict. I know you can buy TSC chicks for about $1 ea. in the spring(which is a lot cheaper than hatching drama. I live in a suburb and wil probably have to sell extra chicks at farm auctions. Right now I have about 10 "barnyard" eggs 2 days from hatch date and am awaiting 5 dozen courtinix eggs to hatch in a local High School. I'm using my unused dog kennel for a coop. Someone just gave me this former school incubator with built in turner and wafer controls. What do I do with this? It will hold over a 100 chicken eggs, easily.
You hatch!!!!

:oops::ya

What do I do with this? It will hold over a 100 chicken eggs, easily.

Well, first you have to plug it in to see if the temp holds steady.

Then load it up and count to see if it will hold 100 eggs.... or more.

Then of course you have to hatch those eggs - call it a trial.

Well, first you have to plug it in to see if the temp holds steady.

Then load it up and count to see if it will hold 100 eggs.... or more.

Then of course you have to hatch those eggs - call it a trial.

It holds temp ok. +- 1.5 degrees. Can get humidity to good levels. has water pan on top, motor drives air. Only one of the 3 shelves has a built in turner. I might put a few dozen barnyard eggs in it to see if I can get a hatch.

Back
Top Bottom