Incubators Anonymous

I aske the Amish guy and he said they are red ones.... The ones that have hatched out so far out of the last batch say otherwise though. Two look like bsl x bsl and the others look like production reds. He may have all reds and the blacks could be a result of a rsl cross but it's more likely 2 bsl parents. I will see what they grow into.

And no I don't really care....that's why I'm in I.A. :D

Last edited:
What are they? Do you care?
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Apparently the method I was going with was spot on... I've got 3/5 silkies out now and one more has a weeny weeny pip. Still hatching a bit early, but they sure are doing well.

Can't thank everyone enough for all the kind advice.

Yaaaaay!
celebrate.gif

I aske the Amish guy and he said they are red ones.... The ones that have hatched out so far out of the last batch say otherwise though. Two look like bsl x bsl and the others look like production reds. He may have all reds and the blacks could be a result of a rsl cross but it's more likely 2 bsl parents. I will see what they grow into.

And no I don't really care....that's why I'm in I.A.
big_smile.png
That is what I thought......
gig.gif
8 doz eggs of unknown chickens $1.99 a doz .....
yippiechickie.gif

Apparently the method I was going with was spot on... I've got 3/5 silkies out now and one more has a weeny weeny pip. Still hatching a bit early, but they sure are doing well.

Can't thank everyone enough for all the kind advice.

Yaaaaay!
celebrate.gif
Glad you are finally getting hatchlings!!

And FYI, the word on the street is that early chicks are healthier and stronger than late chicks. Thought you'd like to know!

well, life on the incubator/hatcher scene is, 1 black cochin, 3 color cross dorkings, and... (had to go count again) 8 (i think, they run around so fast) mille/partridge cochins. 3 more mille eggs pipped, and the 1 birchen cochin egg that developed of 7 or 8 shipped is also pipped.

on the swap scene, i took half dozen hatching eggs, 11 red, colored and silver grey dorking pullets (12-14 weeks old), 2 4 week old barred rocks, 1 4 week old barred cochin cross, white cochin pullet, bantam rir hen, and a pair of gold neck d'uccles. came home with 10 red, colored and silver grey dorking pullets (12-14 weeks old), 1 4 week old barred rock, 1 4 week old barred cochin cross, white cochin pullet, bantam rir hen, and a pair of gold neck d'uccles, plus 4 white "LF Pure" chicks, 1 black "LF Pure" chick, a pair of blue/splash wyandottes, a black pullet (?? breed??), a freezer rooster and a 5 week old quail roo (replacement for my dead one), and $35 LOL now what to do with all the 'newbies'... guy that was set up next to me is also a hatching addict, and gave me all the birds they brought (except the white call duck. a little girl got her). i was hesitant to accept them all, but he insisted it was ok, he had too many birds. i was honest with him tho, and said they'd all likely be at the next swap and the mixed roo to freezer camp. lol his wife just laughed.

now to go band all the dorkings i brought back, so i know which ones i'd sorted for culling next time around. it'll be faster picking them out the night before.

a little later i'll pick some brains about what the ?? birds are. meanwhile they're still in the truck. (in the shade at least)

Last edited:
well, life on the incubator/hatcher scene is, 1 black cochin, 3 color cross dorkings, and... (had to go count again) 8 (i think, they run around so fast) mille/partridge cochins. 3 more mille eggs pipped, and the 1 birchen cochin egg that developed of 7 or 8 shipped is also pipped.

on the swap scene, i took half dozen hatching eggs, 11 red, colored and silver grey dorking pullets (12-14 weeks old), 2 4 week old barred rocks, 1 4 week old barred cochin cross, white cochin pullet, bantam rir hen, and a pair of gold neck d'uccles. came home with 10 red, colored and silver grey dorking pullets (12-14 weeks old), 1 4 week old barred rock, 1 4 week old barred cochin cross, white cochin pullet, bantam rir hen, and a pair of gold neck d'uccles, plus 4 white "LF Pure" chicks, 1 black "LF Pure" chick, a pair of blue/splash wyandottes, a black pullet (?? breed??), a freezer rooster and a 5 week old quail roo (replacement for my dead one), and $35 LOL now what to do with all the 'newbies'... guy that was set up next to me is also a hatching addict, and gave me all the birds they brought (except the white call duck. a little girl got her). i was hesitant to accept them all, but he insisted it was ok, he had too many birds. i was honest with him tho, and said they'd all likely be at the next swap and the mixed roo to freezer camp. lol his wife just laughed.

now to go band all the dorkings i brought back, so i know which ones i'd sorted for culling next time around. it'll be faster picking them out the night before.

a little later i'll pick some brains about what the ?? birds are. meanwhile they're still in the truck. (in the shade at least)

Oh Karen, You have me absolutely in stitches!! ANd truly terrified as I'm going to a swap tomorrow and though I planned a purchase for some SS, I so need to sell some chicks, not bring more home!!
gig.gif

ok well, the chicks are in with the 'outside' chick gang and getting along great (then again they got to ride home with 2 of the more dominant of the group).

maybe you can help ID them. they are LF for sure, fairly upright stance. yellow feet/legs, single comb, and white. fairly heavy boned for their age IMO. thicker legs than the barred rocks who are 2 weeks older, and nearly as large. they appear to be slow feathering too, as they have wing feathers but breast and back are still just fluff. one has yellow/green legs, but is the same as the others.

there's one black chick, same age. dark mottled legs right now, and showing signs of having some mottled white in the breast but everything else is solid black so far. same stage of feathering as the whites. also single comb.

the black pullet i'm pretty sure is a mixed breed, but i'll toss it out there. bantam sized, almost identical to a cochin, but she has black feet/legs/beak and clean legs, single comb...

the pair (wyandotte i'm pretty sure) is interesting. desperately in need of treatment for bugs (scaly leg for sure). the roo looks blue, but has a wash of gold/red/? on the head down to the shoulders of his wings. rose comb and what appear to be white legs (what i can tell under the scales). the hen is a splash with yellow legs and a much flatter comb with almost no detail to it. i'd say rose maybe? maybe cushion comb? i've had hens with rose combs that had way more bumples on it. possibly a cross there too? no idea about what her tail looks like, she's got a bald (sunburned) nub. once they're treated i'll be separating them to see if her butt'll grow back in. but she is loose/soft feathered like a cochin, and about the same size. the roo is about the size of my 6 month old black cochin roo, but i think he's much older from the condition and length of his spurs.

any suggestions what they might be? i might get pics later.

Oh Karen, You have me absolutely in stitches!! ANd truly terrified as I'm going to a swap tomorrow and though I planned a purchase for some SS, I so need to sell some chicks, not bring more home!!
gig.gif
yeah, the one time i NEED some money, and it went into the gas tank of the truck. every penny. well, at least i've got a fuller tank now.

and you've lost me. what's SS? some abbreviations lose me.

Back
Top Bottom