Incubators Anonymous

Yes I know that now but at the time I got them thats what the feed store people said you needed to use. My bf just got me a eco glow thing from brin sea. I cant use it yet becuawse my chicks are now scared of the dark
barnie.gif
but they are 3 weekish old buttons so wont need heat much longer and 6 week old serama who shoudnt need it but insist on acting like newb orns.. I hve herd of humans regressing but chicks never seen it or heard of it but I swear they are thy cry and want to be held just like new babies and they cry when I turn the lamp off even during the day though there warm enough
he.gif
that's why i use heat emitters. basically it's a ceramic 'bulb' with a heating element in it. it puts out NO light and as much heat as you desire (by the wattage of the emitter bulb)...

in the house, i use a 75 watt emitter in a 2x4 brooder, about 10" above the bedding for new chicks. when they start spreading out because they're too warm i swap it out for a 40 watt. after about 4 weeks i turn it off all together. if they're outside, if it's likely to be below 40 degrees, i use a 150 watt emitter and set it about 12-14" from where they sleep. if it's going to be warmer than 40 over night, i'll use a 90 watt.

i don't change the outside ones much, if at all, but go by what the weekly average is likely to be, and will opt for the hotter one than worry about cold chicks. in the summer, outdoor babies get a 40 watt bulb and it's usually turned off by the time they're 4-5 weeks old.

and they last practically forever, short of breaking/dropping one. i've only had 1 in the last 20 years just stop working, and it may have been dropped or damaged when i moved.

Last edited:
that's why i use heat emitters. basically it's a ceramic 'bulb' with a heating element in it. it puts out NO light and as much heat as you desire (by the wattage of the emitter bulb)...

in the house, i use a 75 watt emitter in a 2x4 brooder, about 10" above the bedding for new chicks. when they start spreading out because they're too warm i swap it out for a 40 watt. after about 4 weeks i turn it off all together. if they're outside, if it's likely to be below 40 degrees, i use a 150 watt emitter and set it about 12-14" from where they sleep. if it's going to be warmer than 40 over night, i'll use a 90 watt.

i don't change the outside ones much, if at all, but go by what the weekly average is likely to be, and will opt for the hotter one than worry about cold chicks. in the summer, outdoor babies get a 40 watt bulb and it's usually turned off by the time they're 4-5 weeks old.

and they last practically forever, short of breaking/dropping one. i've only had 1 in the last 20 years just stop working, and it may have been dropped or damaged when i moved.
Where do you purchase them ? I'm looking for an alternate heat source for my brooder. I was using 250 watt red heat lamps, but they make me nervous 'cause they get so HOT .

Where do you purchase them ?    I'm looking for an alternate heat source for my brooder.  I was using 250 watt red heat lamps, but they make me nervous 'cause they get so HOT .

I got a 85w red flood light from wal mart. It heats up plenty. I haven't had any chicks under it yet but I'm sure it's going to work fine. You might try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracrzy4chicks

Where do you purchase them ? I'm looking for an alternate heat source for my brooder. I was using 250 watt red heat lamps, but they make me nervous 'cause they get so HOT .

any place that sells supplies for reptiles. i found some on ebay too, if you want to wait for them to ship from china.

Just candled my Frizzled Naked Neck (green egg layers) and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hatching eggs. Got 9 NN and 3 Wyandottes growing! So excited! Can't wait for hatch date on Feb 1!
Was hoping for more Wyandottes, but as long as I get a pullet or two out of them, I will be happy. (I got 9 Wyandotte eggs in the mail, and they were so shaken up that I am surprised I even have 3 growing! Hope they don't quit on me. Our postman friend says the PO really pays no attention to all those "handle with care" stickers all over them. The boxes are tumbled and tossed just like the rest of the packages! I had 1 cracked egg that I didn't use, 3 no-goes, and 2 early quitters so far) I got 10 NNs eggs and 9 are good! Yea! I can see how this can be additive! I spend my nights looking at hatching egg advertisements! I really don't need any more chickens although I do still want a Salmon Favorelle, a Specked Sussex and I'd like a real blue egg layer like a Legbar or a Wheaten Ameraucana. Anyone have extra of those types of eggs you would like to send my way?????? I may just see what I can get from my local Tractor supply store in March (live chicks). I think you can order what you want from them in March. It might be cheaper to just get those 3 chicks from them.

Anyway, this is the first time my DH got involved with the candling, and even thou he made fun of my excitement, I could tell he was excited about the whole thing, too! He loves our chickens and spoils them rotten!

WHO IS GETTING READY FOR SPRING?????

I have an order for 18 SBEL chicks and I have been told that some people are already selling chicks and can't keep up SOOOOO I am setting ALL of my Sex linked Marans and Sex linked EE and some cuckoos too.... I am about to put 90 eggs in I have not done that is many months. Lets hope they sale quickly. I have a few SBEL I set for my order (only 6 developed so I had to start over) so 5 hatched today and then I had 3 barred rocks hatch and 1 blue barred rock... I don't need the BR so I am going to sell them too. I need to go through my pens and start pulling all the pullets I can sell. I need to thin down to make more breeding pens. I need to make a Sex link pen with my NH roo x BR.... but they are not laying YET
fl.gif
I think in the next few weeks my eggs are going to really explode. Already I am getting about 30 eggs a day. This year I am a little better prepared for SPRING

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom